Current Sundial T5 4X39 watts problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like a ballast issue. The electronic ballast should fire up right away and not flicker. I would give them a call and have them ship a replacement. When you purchase something it should work right off the bat. Why worry about trying to find a fix or work around.

Just to double check, did you make sure the integrated timer was on?

sounds like a bad endcap, but it could be a loose wire also. Do you have a way to test for voltage?

Last edited:
Just had same problem with another brand 4 bulb fixture. It's the ballast, no doubt. There should be two ballast inside fixture. Take out the bulbs. Slide out reflector. Look inside and you'll find 2 ballasts. look at the wires coming off the ballast and follow the ones going to the 2 working bulbs. The other one will be your bad one. Carefully cut the wires so there is a least a couple inches of wire left on ballast. two screws will hold ballast in place. Remove them and ballast will come out. Now look on line or call company and order a new ballast. Unfortunately this will cost you about 60 bucks. When new one comes match up wires and re-splice and bam, your bulbs will fire up. That's why it was in the yard sale.

Thanks for all the input. Man, I didn't even think of just splicing the wires and connecting it to the new ballast. I was thinking how would I disconnect everything and how to wire it back.

Anyways, found out my lfs can get it. i'll be getting it maybe tomorrow.

Cool! You found the bad ballast and got it out? I got a BRAND new light on E-Bay and had the SAME problem. They sent me a new ballast after much hassle and I fixed it in like 10 minutes. Let me know if it works out for you.

It was the ballast. I was able to get it today. Problem solved.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom