Current USA Orbit Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone.

I'm looking at switching lighting from t5 to LED and I came across this unit http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_...xtures-Current_USA-CU04100-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

Does anyone have experience with and would toil recommend it?

Also, with a 125, 72" tank, do I get two 36" units or 3 24"?

With multiple units, say two 36" ones, how do I mount it when I have a DIY hood now? I heard there's a kit but I've just started researching. I don't see using the legs and having it sit in the splash zone above the surface.

TIA!

While I think that fixture is really neat I am not sure on how intense the leds are, meaning I dont think it can support all corals. But for softies and LPS I think it may work. I also fellin love with the controller for this light but the leds themselves turned me off as I wanted something that could support anything.

Mr. X would be the go to guy for this if you want a definite answer.

While I think that fixture is really neat I am not sure on how intense the leds are, meaning I dont think it can support all corals. But for softies and LPS I think it may work. I also fellin love with the controller for this light but the leds themselves turned me off as I wanted something that could support anything. Mr. X would be the go to guy for this if you want a definite answer.

Thanks for the comment. Can you educate me on how to compare one unit to another with regards to intensity? I want the flexibility to grow anything.

Well the first thing that tips me off that it might be a super great light source is that it is only running .25 watt leds. My led panel for instance runs 3 watts each led. Also, when you look at the chart in the listing it shows at what height you would have to keep a specific type of coral. The best they are claiming is low light sps at the very top of the tank, makes me wonder how much light will actually make it to the bottom of the tank where the majority of people keep their corals. Now, if you are ok with the limitations then I think its a great light, IF you dont aspire to one day keep high light corals.

Well the first thing that tips me off that it might be a super great light source is that it is only running .25 watt leds. My led panel for instance runs 3 watts each led. Also, when you look at the chart in the listing it shows at what height you would have to keep a specific type of coral. The best they are claiming is low light sps at the very top of the tank, makes me wonder how much light will actually make it to the bottom of the tank where the majority of people keep their corals. Now, if you are ok with the limitations then I think its a great light, IF you dont aspire to one day keep high light corals.

Which do you have?

This fixture won't allow you to keep higher light corals like Carey stated. If you get the 3' units, they are only a total of 36 watts each. hardly a lot of punch. If you had maybe a 30 breeder and didn't have to reach through 22" of water and a few inches of air, I would say to give it a shot, but I'm afraid you may not be happy with it.

What do you want to spend? If you want to save money their are bargain fixtures you could get that are at least manually adjustable, that would work for you. Otherwise Of the expensive "all the bells and whistles" fixtures are Aqua Illuminations, Maxspect, kessil, and more.
The bargain fixtures I speak of are the Taotronics or similar units you see on Ebay and Amazon. These can be purchased for under $150.00 a piece, and you'll need 3. You'll need 3 of the expensive fixtures also FYI, and probably more than 3 Kessils.

Well, I didn't realize I'd need 3 and can't afford $1500 rt now. Guess I'll have to stick with my T5 setup and save up.

Thx for the advice!

Okay, that's doable. Can they be matched with a controller to get more refined effects? Or are just limited to dimmable?

Just limited to dimmable. No controller. Basically, set the intensity and amounts of blue and daylight, and then put them on ordinary timers. You get what you pay for unfortunately. The good news is, you can grow sps on the sand bed if you like.

I have both led's, the full spectrum as well as just the blues and whites. I find the full spectrum too purple for my tastes. There is no difference as far as corals, they will grow under either just fine. Its your preference.

Thanks guys! Very helpful. I just bought the B&W versions off eBay for $320. It doesn't have the Current USA controller but I'm more concerned with upgrading and growing any corals I want.

I'd love to understand how you have yours set in terms of blue to white etc.

I run mine basically the same as I assume you run your T5 fixture- blues come on first, then whites after a couple hours, then whites go off an hour or two before the blues do.

I run mine basically the same as I assume you run your T5 fixture- blues come on first, then whites after a couple hours, then whites go off an hour or two before the blues do.

Just got mine in and setting up tomorrow.

What percentages do you have yours set at? And I'm assuming you don't use then as moon lights

I had mine at full power, but started them out much lower. On one of my tanks, I had only the blue running and it was enough for anemones and montipora. Set them low in the beginning. You will be surprised how well they penetrate....even though they may look similar to the lighting you replaced.

Back
Top Bottom