custom 75 gallon with no cross brace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craigt33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! New here and hope I can get some help. I just aquired a custom 75 gallon aquarium, the only issue I'm having is that it does not have the center brace on the top due to the fact it's made out of 1/2" glass so there's no need for one. But I want to put a glass top on it because I'll be running LED lights and don't need them ruined, my sa cichlids get a little feisty sometimes and splash. I have searched all over the Internet and have only found one that are made for a take with a center brace. Has anyone else ever had this problem or can anyone help me fix my issue? Any and all feedback is a huge help. Thanks!

Have you considered a canopy top with a splashguard over the lights? Depending on your (or a friends) woodworking skills you can make one pretty cheaply as opposed to buying one from a lfs.
You can also make a setup to hang the lights from and they wouldnt even have to touch the tank. I have seen some made from galvanized condiut painted black that lights hang from and you can purchase materials to make a screen that won't block the light but will also keep the fish from carpet-surfing if they get too feisty.

I have several older 75's w/out center braces. I simply got 3/16" glass cut to fit locally, got some plastic hinge and backsplash strip online, and made custom tops for them. I didn't realize that commercial glass tops had a narrower front piece, so I divided the width evenly, a little heavier to open that way but not a problem. Epoxy to hold knobs front and center for handles. Word, make sure you get 3/16" rather than 1/8" thick glass, the thinner stuff will actually bow in the middle and will of course break more easily.

Back
Top Bottom