Custom Canopy and Light System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I am new here and from what I have read so far from all the posts there is a ton of very useful information here and alot of people that most likely know alot more about reef setups and lighting setups that I. Therefore I turn to you folks here for advice tips or anything else you might be able to provide for what I feel is a big project that I am fixing to undertake. I'll try to get all the relevant information here but if I dont, smack me a bit and I will get it posted ASAP. Ok, enough rambling.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank which is setup for a reef. It had a set of SHO straight pin 55 watt lights and a set of 36" normal Actinic flourescents. Well, the ballasts in the light strips finally kicked the bucket and I am replacing them all with the following ballast http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Browse.asp?search=120V+128W+MAX

So, while I was doing all this, I thought I would go ahead and attempt to make a custom canopy with the lights installed into it. Bear with me for I have no diagrams or pictures except for what is in my head. It of course will be the same shape as the tank and I am thinking about making it 8 inches tall. Havent really chosen what type of lumber yet. The lid will be hinged and will cover the top of the canopy except for a 2 inch strip that will run the length of the back of the tank.

Now, for the first of I'm sure will be many questions. Do I still need to have the glass lid directly over the water or will the lights and fixtures be ok "exposed" to the water without the glass top? The ballasts will be mounted inside a "trough" so to speak that will run the length of the tank and will have 2 120v 80mm fans installed at both ends for cooling ( one intake and one exhaust). This "trough" will also be sealed when the canopy lid is shut to keep the ballasts and wiring from being exposed to the elements. Each set of lights (SHO, flourescents, and LED's) will also have its own power cord so that each set can be put on its own timer.

Also, I am going to fabricate my own "Lunar Light" system out of some blue (or another color that may be better??) LED's. My question on that is, what brightness LED should be used? I know that the wavelength needs to be something like 470nm but what mcd should the LED's be? 5000, 7000 or 10,000?

Well I guess thats all my questions for now. I will try to get some pictures posted when I get started rolling with this thing. I know that was alot to read and probably confused more than it enlightened, but if I left any information out just let me know and I will get it in here as quick as possible. Thanks for all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom