Day 1 - Is my Protein Skimmer Working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can I tell if my protein skimmer is working is it supposed to shoot out continuous water or spit it out every now and then

It should "burp" skimmate over ever now and then but a new skimmer needs to be broken in so its jot uncommon to have it over flow. Just make sure you have it at the right water level and try to keep it just before spilling over by adjusting the flow

I had it right over the top of my water it's a hang on kind I have in my pictures

You just turned it on? It takes a few weeks to properly break in.

Where are you inquiring about it continuously spitting out water? It should continuously produce bubbles in the main chamber, and eventually it will form foam on top which will build up and fall off into the collection cup.

So I should hang a little cup for the output to go in or just let it flow back into the tank?

I'm not sure if it does I don't even have water in my tanks yet cause I'm trying to figure everything out

If your water level is to high then it raises the water level inside the skimmer causing it to overflow but this is only for in-sump skimmers

I would get your water going so you can start your cycle. There is debate as to whether you should run a protein skimmer while cycling. On one hand, some say that you are removing wastes that your bacteria feeds on which helps it to multiply etc. The other side says it will cut down on algae growth due to the nutrients and waste as brown algae thrives on that as well especially since you aren't doing water changes just topping off with RO water. Are you doing a fish less cycle?

I would set up my water and use the protein skimmer if you want to just to get it broken in. I've cycled with one and without. To be very honest I had brown algae after the cycle with both due to not doing water changes during the cycle. I used damsels but I'm cycling a 20 gallon now not using fish but using live rock. I don't have a protein skimmer on it yet. =)

Do I even need a protein skimmer or can I just use water filters from my local wal Mart and drop some bio beads in their? I was thinking that might actually work and be allot cheaper

How big is your tank and what are you putting in it? A protein skimmer is usually needed but I've had a 20 gallon tank that didn't have one. I will tell you that you will get less algae (or I should say I do now) with one not to mention better water quality. The skimmer removes DOC's (Dissolved Organic Compounds). Here's a quick article to look at that may help you to decide.

www.ehow.com/about_5285976_do-aquariums-require-protein-skimmers.html

Back
Top Bottom