design ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timber Wolf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the beginning stages of building a sunroom/greenhouse. My house is old and I can't get my display tanks to be stable let alone level. I have some really hard to find and rare fish that I really want to show off. I've talked my wife into letting me put my show tanks in the sunroom.

What I need is information and ideas. The room will be 12 by 14. There will be only one French door leading to the room from our dining room. The roof will be solid, so direct light shouldn't be a problem. Here is my dilemma. What are my electrical and plumbing needs? How can I design a plumbing system that won't leave water everywhere? What filter systems would be more idiot proof? I have mattenfilters, hob, and canister. And most of my tanks are planted with a few being dirted. I have livebearers, apistos, and nano egg layers. Most are warm water fish with a few wild type cold water species from north America. About 1/3 of my fish are on the red list. My tanks of choice are 55g, 20g highs, and 15g.

I'm going with corner mattenfilters from Swiss Tropicals. This cuts down on the number of outlets I will need. We have also decided to install a small sink and drain. I was going to build custom stands out of the reclaimed wood we are using for the floor. I'm also toying with the idea of setting up an aquaphonics system that would use PVC pipe that would run horizontally and then drop a few feet and run horizontally the other direction. This would create a living wall. I'm still getting estimates from builders.

Following as well, as I"m curious to see where you go with this. I always thought a large aquarium with a "weeping" wall above it would make an awesome addition to a greenhouse.

My 55 is a heavily planted tank so I'm not sure it will be a good candidate for aquaphonics. But the 40 is a really good candidate. I have a cracked 40 that still holds water that could be a candidate. Ideally I would like to get my 20s and larger in the greenhouse. It would free up needed space in my fishroom so I can remodel it.

One of the concerns I would have with glass or acrylic aquariums in a greenhouse would be algae. If you are looking at an aquaponics system of some sort, I would give consideration to plastic tubs rather than glass.

I was going to place the tanks so sunlight is minimized, or paint the side catching sunlight. Not too worried about algae. I have learned to cope with it.

I found a vertical felt system that I really like. Its made of recycled plastic and would cost less than $300 for the felt, water pump and pex drip system (6sq'). Water enters the felt at the top and drips down to a gutter at the bottom where it is directed into a tank. Its insanely simple. Its mounted to a waterproof backing of your choice and hung from supports and you don't need a return system of pipes. Just a catch at the bottom that collects the purified water and directs it back to the tank. I'm even considering letting it drip directly unto the tank.

WWW.plantsonwalls.com

Back
Top Bottom