Desiring to purchase a fish aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter jones23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
If anyone knows what size tank I should purchase, please advise. I'd like to buy fish and have plenty of room. I am open to suggestions. thanks

3 things to consider.

What is your budget? How much room do have? What do you want to keep in there?

https://youtu.be/lM1r2P0rnC0

More water is always easier to manage water quality, especially as a beginner. But if all you want to keep is a betta then you dont want a 20 gallon tank. If you want to keep oscars then you need to go to the other end of the spectrum.

As big as you can afford and have space for and is suitable for what you want to keep. Without some more specifics all anyone can give is generalisations.

Also depends on what kind of fish plan to keep.

Fancy Goldfish

Cichlids

Community Tank

Shrimp tank

A Biotope style tank

I would browse some stores' fish aquariums, especially stores which are owned by local people who love the hobby. Check out the types of fish which you are most interested in keeping at your home. After a few visits to stores you will likely see certain fish which draw your attention, again and again.

Then you will know what those fish need for space and tank mates.

Take your time and research and cross check what the fish you like most need.

As an example - fancy Goldfish would be a wrong choice to pair with Discus, the first preferring cooler water and the later loving warmer water.

You can further create a lovely tank using appropriate fish companions, with various shapes, and colors and locations where they like to swim in the tank.

Example being top of tank, like Hatchet fish, upper part of tank like Pearl Gourami, middle of tank like Neon Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras, Bottom of tank like Corydoras and many Loaches.

Welcome to the community!

Back
Top Bottom