diatom filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got a diatom filter (about 2 weeks ago). Every time I use it, I get a cloud of diatomaceous earth in my tank. If I had 3 hands, it wouldn't happen, but alas I only have 2.

Anyways, I only run the thing about once a week and I just wanted to make sure that diatomaceous earth is safe for my fish. The packaging says that it is 100% safe for them, I just want to hear from other aquarists about the matter.

What diatom filter do you have? Usually, you can stick a pitcher in your tank and run the inlet and outlets in the pitcher for a few minutes. Then the cloud end up in the pitcher and when that clears up, you remove the pitcher and clean the tank.

Here's what I do with mine deli-conker. I fill the filter with tap water first (and I mean fill). Then I attach the intake hose to the outflow and turn the diatom on. I wait until I can see that all the diatomocious powder has adhered to the micron filter pad. Then I very carefully undo the outlow and intake connections in the tank, below the water level. This has never given me a problem.

HTH

I have this filter

Connecting the two together seems the most prudent for my setup. I'll have to find a straight through connector for my hoses. Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know how it all turns out...

Back
Top Bottom