Diatom filter...best thing since the Python!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
Whoever invented this thing gets all my kudos! Really, it was the best $80 I spent on my tanks, second only to the Python.

I heard so much about how difficult a diatom filter is to set up, operate, and clean. It really wasn't such a big deal. I made a photo essay about the setup and operation - take a look!

http://community.webshots.com/album/509004274PoRAHg

Here are before and after pics of my 58 gal tank!

Attachments

• yay_148.jpg
    yay_148.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 167
  • yuckk_901.jpg
    yuckk_901.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 182
:D I agree. It's a very serious tool to have. I like to use mine for 20 minutes or so after a gravel vac or water change.

Wow, that only took 30 minutes? Amazing. Is $80 pretty typical price for it, or did you get a good deal somewhere?

I use a Magnum H.O.T. with diatom powder. Works not quite as fast but was cheaper. One can get a Magnum for about $40.00 plus shipping.

yep.. DE filters way down to like 1 micron.. its killer stuff.. :mrgreen: 8) 8)

I dont understand the "dificult" argument to any filter myself.. good greef.. do the HOB's self prime now.. LOL

btw... QTOFFER.. if you get to using the Vortex very often.. like Brian does his tanks weekly.. you should consider a bag of DE that they sell for pool filters.. MUCH cheaper then the stuff in the little packets and its the same suff.. :p

the one at work said Diatomius Earth on the bag.. HTH

Wow, what an unbelievable difference! 8) I wouldn't have expected such dramatic results from an $80 investment.

Back
Top Bottom