DIATOM FILTER: Diatom filter powder vs. Super Char

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have been running our D-1 Diatom Filter approx once a month for about a year now. We decided to change out the filter.

My question is this:
I have always used Super-Char (black carbon substance) to charge the filter before use. I just ordered some new supplies and I got "Diatom Filter Powder". Should I use this (white diatomaceous earth type substance) or the super char? Does one replace the other in the process?

Thanks
DJ

I can only tell you about my experience using the diatom filter powder. I do not believe you will be able to run the filter for any length of time using the diatom powder. It is a very, very fine filter media and I'm only able to run mine for a max of 2 days before it becomes clogged (and I do a 20% pwc every week). Depending on what you about trying to do, you might be wise to stick with the Super-Char. The diatom powder is mainly used to "polish" the water.

Hope that helps out :)

We only run our diatom filter for a few hours once a month. We do not run it for any more than that.

I am surprised it is so hard to find information on this. I have been reading all I can about diatom filters online including the Vortex site and cannot determine which to use and when and why there are 2 different methods to charge or if I am totally off base.

DJ

I'm not sure this will help but here is a link for the diatom filters:

http://www.diatomfilter.com/manual.htm (you've probably already looked around this site)

My understanding is that the Super Char is to be used as an additive to the diatomaceous earth (according to the Vortex site). Therefore; you should be able to use either the diatom powder or a mixture of diatom powder and the super-char.

Sorry, I can only answer half of your question....I'm not sure on the 2 different charging methods.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom