Direct Sunlight vs UV Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

Really happy here. Found a sideline job that pays and where I can practice my hobby : I clean fish tanks in an office.

The owner of the office is that kind of guy who has a lot of money, doesn't ask any advice before proceding, thinks fish are attractive for his office, but doesn't know a **** about it, is stubborn, etc.

My problem is the following : a new office, with a new fish tank, which, of course, no advice at all was asked.

The tank is 10 feet in the air (80g) on the ceiling, is shaped as a "L", separates the entry hall with the main room.

Of course, no space at all was left to put a filter or something, so 1st thing of all would be the installation of a sump. This way, I could make waterchanges on ground level, and put filtration, heater in there, etc.

But the biggest issue is the sunlight. I guess that if the tank is there, it's because he wants it to be seen from both the entry all, and the main room, but the side in the entry hall seems to be in DIRECT sunlight. When I went there it was 1h30 pm, the sun was shinning there, so I guess it shines directly on the tank for at least 4-5 hours a day. The best would be to cover this side, but I doubt it would be ok with the boss, stubborn like he is. So say hello to algae on glass and green water.

So I think I have 3 options, tell me if I'm wrong :

1 : Planted tank : Plants will absorb nutriments algae need, so less algae
2 : UV filtration (never tried, but heard it's good on algae)
3 : Both!

Would you think I could have good results with those restrictions?

If not, then I will then insist for only one side, if he refuses, or doesn't want to install the sump, I think I'll juste refuse the contract.

Sorry about my English today guys. I know I'm hard to follow sometimes :p

With the sun on the tank 4-5 hrs a day i'd be worried about a chiller to cool it Tint on the windows will help a lot Plants and UV just might do it A sump to hide it all and make PWC's is a must Can you access the tank to clean it as needed? Who feeds? maybe an auto feeder so it can be filled once a week Sounds like a tough tank to maintain

Back
Top Bottom