Dividing the top of a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to divide the top inch or so of my 75 gallon, to provide an area of still water for floating plants. I love watching them get hit by the outflow of the Aquaclear and go to the bottom of the tank and all, but they don't seem to like it. I'd also like to move my giant Ceratopteroides pteroides into that tank.

I would like the divider to have a curve to it so it doesn't look too queer. I was thinking of maybe using one of those plastic back strips from a canopy and sealant-ing it on at the ends, but I think the tension will just pop it off.

Anyone have other idears on what to use or how to affix it? I want to place it so that the divider fits within the trim on the tank top to bottom.....

BillD said:
Might be easier to add a deflector to the filter to direct the water across the top of the tank.

When the water enters from the top (like a waterfall), no matter which direction it is going it makes a current. The current eventually sweeps the plants under the waterfall.

Eventually I am going to replace this filter with another XP3, but because of the way the tank is situated there's nowhere to put a second canister. The AC does a wonderful job and churns out the water-love it except for the current problem.

If you direct the water across the top of the tank, you will lessen the effect you describe. Raising the water level also reduces the effect. I don't have the problem you describe with my ACs.

Hmmmm.....OK, this weekend I'll go git some supplies and have a go at deflection and/or division.

The tank is full to the brim. The AquaClear is a 110-I wonder why yours don't do the same? Or maybe I just notice it 'cause of all the floating plants in there?

Back
Top Bottom