DIY acrylic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all!!

im hopeing someone here has more experience with building with acrylic than i have. been doing my reseach and here is my plan so far:

img_293713_0_d27535be12c26d4503276bcc57a6d8f3.jpg

i know its small, should be around 1.2 g of water when all is said and done. i plan on using 1/8 in acrylic since the tank is so small. the debate is on what # weld on to use. i hear use 4 if your edges are smooth (routed? cut on a bias? not clear here) and 16 if they arent since it is thicker. what do you guys think?

for the tank i plan on using a rio mini pump in the back right compartment. im going for very simple, with a coralife 2x9w PC, 1 actinic 1 10000k daylight. that will give me a lot of watts/gallon- aprox. 9+ w/g.

any opinions or comments welcome. TIA!

Check out my AA DIY thread here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30257&highlight=

I haven't updated it lately but it should provide helpful. I think I touched breifly on the different types of solvents but if I not I'd be happy to add on. I would have to recommend 1/4" if you have little experience with acrylic. 1/8" can be tricky though should still work just fine. You shouldn't need a total of 4" in the back for a small pump depending on it's orientation. I can give you a few drawings on some of mine if you like. If you need any other help just let me know I'd be gald to help.

HTH,
R-

thanks for the responses guys!

im not opposed to using 1/4" if you think it would be better for a beginner such as myself. and thanks for that link, it was very helpful esp w/ the step by step pics. how much space do you think i should allow for the pump? its dimensions are 1-1/2" x 2" x 2" tall, do you think that perhaps 2.5 or 3" would be better?

thanks again

If you orentate it sideways like this and attach it using a vinyl tube through a small bulkhead type attachment you could go as far down as 2" and still have play room while maximizing your display area. like this:

thats a great idea sumphead, i think i will go with the 2 inches in the sump, as i want it to be as compact as possible. thanks for all the input! ill be sure to post pics as soon as i get it started!

Back
Top Bottom