DIY CO2 generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I waited the 48 hours for the silicone to totally cure and just added the yeast and sugar. I will update ya'll on how well it works.

wow not even 15 mins and the thing is cracking out co2 through an airstone I attached to it.

now my only question is how close do I need it to my plants?

Proximity to plants isnt important. Diffusing the co2 into the water is. How large are the bubbles coming out and do they disappear before they reach the surface?

no power head or such....

I just ugly-fied the tank too by putting a new HOB on it to cycle for one of the new tanks.

Ive seen people shove the tubing into the intake of thier HOB. I tried it once-lasted 5 minutes before the noise upset me too much. I let mine diffuse through an airstone and I get a good amount of co2 entering my water (15ppm or better).

used some older tubing I had around and the thing was giving me problems trying to position the air stone.

I have the stone semi-near the plants. Lucky I checked the thing the the muck was climbing up the hose and closer to the tank.... means I need to add a second bottle to catch the yeast before it can come into the tank via the airstone. Will need to design version 2.

I just made one... can't wait to mix up and use the magical Sugar/Yeast muck! Hopefully, Sugar Ants won't find it! I sealed the hose at the cap pretty good, maybe they won't be able to sniff it out.

Somehow I had the yeast scum crawl up the air hose. So I am redesigning mine. I am adding a second bottle. *lol* if I was thinking I would have had it like a water pipe (perk the incoming CO2 through some water).

One or two warnings I have heard. One is to make sure to keep up on it so it doesn't start producing alcohol (which will kill the fish). The second is to use a touch of something besides sugar (a spoon or two of OJ, tomato sauce, or whatever).

it's not backup thats going toward the tank
the check valve stops water/gas from coming from the direction of the tank to the generator. cant put the check valve in the other direction or the co2 wont get to the tank.

I believe it will stop the backup fluid from going into the tank as well.

no was not the back up from the tank going to the bottle. It was the yeast fermentation scum going to the tank.

The reason I am adding the second bottle is so any material from the yeast bottle will be dumped in the second bottle instead of going into the tank.

Some article I read said to *** something besides sugar to the yeast after a while. The idea being that the yeast would like something more than just sugar.... The tomato sauce or OJ will provide other nutrients.

I know sometimes baking soda is added to prevent the co2 from lowering your pH

I have a high pH anyway....

I cut back the water, yeast and sugar and seems to be working well now.

Back
Top Bottom