Do all 4ft aquariums have middle braces?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedEuphoria

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just asking because i think all the pics I've seen have them, then I looked at terrariums and I saw some w/o braces in the middle.

Reason I ask is b/c I can get this 40G long tank, I saw it last week and measured it to be ~ 48"L X 13"D X 16"H. I dont recall seeing braces(not that I was looking). The owner had turtles in it previously.

If it had fish before I would assume it would be OK, but since it didn't and I did not look for braces I just want to make sure its OK.

So thanks in advance, I'm going to pickup tomorrow(or if it doesn't have the braces and its supposed to then I'll keep looking)

The one I'm looking at, I was told was a 45 gallon, but after measuring it and looking up the dimensions it seems to be a 40 gallon long.

Its free but if its going to leak 40 gallons on my floor I think I will hold out. I really want a 40 gallon breeder or a at least a 55g if its 4ft long. I'm looking at and buying equipment for a new tank in that range(40-65G). I'm just not wanting to pay $$$ for a new tank, so I'm watching craigslist and looking around.

Well now theres a 110 gallon on craigslist for $200. Comes with:
Aquarium, 110 gallon complete
Height 23 inches Length 4 foot, Width 2 feet
With Model 404 Fluval less than 2 years old,
Model 500 Aqua Clear Dual Filtration System(AC 110 HOB)
802 Power Head, (AC powerhead, 70 is the new version)
Aerator Filter,lights, stones, bottom drain and sturdy stand.

I'm thinking the stand isn't the greatest but I was not planning on having a "perfect" stand anyway.

I just bought a Fluval 304 I guess I could hang on to it just in case one of the filters stops working.

So its 4ft, I think it sounds like a good deal anyone have input?

You should see the other way over priced stuff on there lately, like a basic 30G w/o stand for $200(pretty sure its a 29G) and a 120G for $1600

Most if not all of the 4' tanks I have looked at or owned have had center braces top and bottom.

Thats what I was thinking Ziggy, I looked at the 40 long new from All Glass and the pic shows the braces. I just dont recall seeing them on the 40G.

Anyway I called on that 110G and man its pretty much exactly what I would want and the deal is good. Its a little big and some hassle involved in getting it and like I said I was more looking to get something like a 55G.

So I called my aunt that used to have 2 55 gallon SW tanks and she still has them and said I could have one. I dont think theres an issue cleaning a SW tank and using it for FW? They had somewhat basic setup from what I recall but they did have a starfish and anemone at one time along with the clowns and yellow tang(killer,lol). I think they are ust regular 55G tanks w no holes drilled? will have to check.

Depends on how it was made. I have seen many older tanks that use very thick glass without a center brace. My grandfather had a 125 gal without any braces.

My guess is that it's cheaper to use thiner glass and a brace, that and it's lighter.

Thanks rkilling1, I guess it doesnt matter much now as I'm going to look at my aunts 2 55gallon tanks and grab one.

Its OK to use it for FW even though it was a SW tank in the past correct? I dont think they have any holes drilled in them so it should be good.

Whats the best way to clean used tanks? I read a diluted bleach or vinegar solution?

Back
Top Bottom