Do I need a Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys.

I was curious if I needed a sump and if my current extra tank would be big enough.

Main tank is a 55 gallon standard sized tank.

I have a spare 10 gallon under it. I was curious if you guys think I need a sump to put all my hardware in and whatever else may come up.

I have a penguin 330 on for mechanical filtration.. 150w heater.. and a seaclone 100 skimmer that I've modded to produce better.

What would be the cheapest way to get an overflow box and make my 10 gallon go to work for me?

If you have any other questions please ask me because this is my first SW tank and it seems to be going great. The brown diatom breakout is going away slowly.

Tank is about a month old with two damsels in it. They have moved TONS of sand around... dug a hole underneath my live rock and made passages to swim.. They even burried the bottom 2 inches of my heater and half my anchor decoration under sand in a mere two weeks.

I don't know if it would be really worth it. Basically all it would do is hide equipment from the main tank. Then again if I get more rock... that'll also help cover up equipment. I don't plan on a refugium.

You don't NEED a sump, but they are nice. If nothing else they are a little extra volume and getting hardware out of your tank is always nice. Bare minimum you'll need to get it up and running is an overflow and a return pump, and some hose going each way. Cheapest new overlflow would be on ebay, usually around $50+shipping if I remember right. There is 1 guy who used to sell cheaper, but he shipped you cut pieces of plastic to glue together yourself. If you really want, I think I still have my overflow from my old 55g tank in storage downstairs. Yours for the bargain price of $20+sh if I can find it. Pm if you want it.

A sump is always a good idea, but like mentioned, not NEEDED. If you decide to go with one I would skip the 10gal and get a 20gal instead. It will provide more water volume (more stable tank) and more room to put equipment. You will need an overflow, plumbing and a return pump to get started.

Hi another newbie question,
i already have a sump or wet/dry or trickle filter. Why so many names?
I have no pump but did buy a Fluval 404.
Should i just stay with the Fluval and remove the wet/dry filter?
Can i have the Fluval pump water to and from the tank thru the wet/dry filter?
Or buy a sump pump for the wet/dry filter?
If so, do i keep both filter seperate or have them in series or inline with each other?

I don't have a sump on my 55 gal fowlr, but when I set up my 30 gal reef, I will difinitely add one.

You can probably use that 10G as a hospital tank (QT) or a refugium for a 29G. Sump is cool but not necessary. It's ideal though. Read more about refugiums, they might interest you. Some people say refugium is way better than sumps. Same concept, just different contents. Some have Sump-refugium combo.

There are available HOB overflows and they aren't pricey at all. check out the refugium route too

55 HOB Overflow

Thanks for the info guys! I'm pretty interested in getting an overflow but I don't know if I should try to make one or not.

can I get away with a 1/2" pvc from a custom overflow into the sump? What would be the 'max flow rate'?

I have a powerhead laying around but what exactly do you guys think I need to move enough water. Something cheap.

ok, here is what i did for my tank...

i got a CPR overflow, for like 65 from LFS, and glued like, 1/2 inch PVC to the output or what ever its called. then put a pvc nipple on it, in which i put 3/4 inch vinyl tubing (which i also got from LFS for like 1.00 a foot) and had it lead into my filter which dumps into my sump (i built a wet/dry trickle filter from scratch) from there i havea fairly powerful pump, which picpes the water straight up like...4 feet or so. now you asking about flow rate, i got a secret ill let you in on. over estimate the power in the pump you need, its always good to over estimate then under. i got a pump that was quite a bit more then i thought it was (and the LFS said it would barely do the job) well when leading the vinyl tubing back into the tank, i installed a PVC ball valve with the 3/4 inch nipples on the end (and got pipe clamps to deal with any excess pressure build up and keep it from bursting). this way i can regulate how much flow goes in and out of the tank. and on its lowest setting, it can turn the tank over in like half an hour. where its set right now its turning the tank over like, every 20 mins or so. and i have a 35 gallon.

anyways, for flow, just install a ball valve and regulate it. typically just slapping a power head with no regulation control is a bad idea...cause your stuck at one setting, which can be to strong, to weak, or absolutely perfect. either way, its good to have a good return pump in there. i think i spent maybe 30 bucks on mine.

Back
Top Bottom