Do I really need a background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the lady at my favorite LFS said I should put this $5.30 background on the back of my 10 gallon tank. It was cut from a roll of the print and priced per inch. She says it will make the fish stand out and also makes them feel secure. She says just to tape it to the back outside of the tank. The scene is a pleasant blue shallow ocean scene with a sandy bottom.

I think it looks good at night, but a little 'cheap' during the day. my wife hates it, she liked the all glass modernity without it. our filter and cords are semi-hidden by plants.

did I just waste my money? should i keep this? or should I spend more money for something of higher quality? i feel bad returning stuff to this mom and pop store that has been in business since 1964.

Backgrounds are a personal choice. I can't stand tanks without them. They look unfinished to me. My husband just upgraded to a larger tank and I'm going nuts every day looking at that tank with no backing.

It's up to you. If you and your wife are satisfied with no back, then go for it.

LyndaB said:
Backgrounds are a personal choice. I can't stand tanks without them. They look unfinished to me. My husband just upgraded to a larger tank and I'm going nuts every day looking at that tank with no backing.

It's up to you. If you and your wife are satisfied with no back, then go for it.

+1 ;) once I got my black on the back it has changed the whole look of my tank for the better :) my wires blend better :)

I have the same background in by bowfront. But it is really up to you if you want a background or not. I have some tanks with a background and some without, it doesn't bother my fish either way.
For me its to cover the wires and gives something other than a white wall.
;)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120327_110512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120327_110512.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 307
So the lady at my favorite LFS said I should put this $5.30 background on the back of my 10 gallon tank. It was cut from a roll of the print and priced per inch. She says it will make the fish stand out and also makes them feel secure. She says just to tape it to the back outside of the tank. The scene is a pleasant blue shallow ocean scene with a sandy bottom.

I think it looks good at night, but a little 'cheap' during the day. my wife hates it, she liked the all glass modernity without it. our filter and cords are semi-hidden by plants.

did I just waste my money? should i keep this? or should I spend more money for something of higher quality? i feel bad returning stuff to this mom and pop store that has been in business since 1964.

Personally ... I'll tell you to just get a black background ... it will make the colors of your fish / plants pop! It really makes a big difference compared to other colored backgrounds ... not to mention no background. Plus if you add a dark substrate, the colors pop even more! And don't worry about the tank appearing too dark ... quality lights should provide you all the light you need to see just fine.

just get a small can of paint like a nice blue and paint the back it'll look great

since my post, i've seen a lot of forum members' pictures of their tanks with the same ocean floor background. it looks quite good. unfortunately I think the wife's going to win this one and I'm going without the background for now. maybe when she lets me upgrade to a bigger tank . . .

tonedogz- were you serious about the paint. what kind of paint will stick to the glass? i think the usual indoor acrylic would peel off.

since my post, i've seen a lot of forum members' pictures of their tanks with the same ocean floor background. it looks quite good. unfortunately I think the wife's going to win this one and I'm going without the background for now. maybe when she lets me upgrade to a bigger tank . . .

tonedogz- were you serious about the paint. what kind of paint will stick to the glass? i think the usual indoor acrylic would peel off.
I used benjamin moore paint. Sorry its been to long since I did it but its still on there. If you go to a bm store just tell them what your trying to do and they'll tell you what paint you need.

By the way paint sticks pretty well to glass you ever try and get it off a window after you got some on there from painting the sash

Krylon spray paint worked just fine on every tank I've ever painted. Just do many light coats so you don't get drips.

I use flat black and clean the glass with rubbing alcohol first.

watch spraying, some of it could get in the tank. get a small can of the color you want and use a smooth roller, one of the small ones

you could always paint a backing and then Attach to the Tank.

I've painted exterior Blue installation Foam (comes in sheets) easy to cut and water resistant. It can attach easily with some tape. (light and durable)

This way if you want to change colors, just repaint the background.

I would use a latex or Water based on the Foam....benefit to this is low odor plus no damage to the Foam.

I painted mine with a paint from Hobby Lobby that is made for painting glass and it looks great. I used a 4" cheap roller to put it on (3 coats took 4 bottles on my 90 tall tank).

Personally, I hate looking through the tank. I have some that are a pic and others that are a solid color. As others said, it depends on what you like.

I personally hate backgrounds because they look fake and cheap 99% of the time. I always paint the back of my tanks black. I think this is the best way to get your fish and corals to pop.

Back
Top Bottom