Do you clean out canister hoses? And how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the corrugated fluval hoses. Is that something I should be cleaning? How do I do it? How often?
Thanks so much! :)

They sell brushs to clean them out every so often. Mine are to long for the cleaner thing so i just replace sections at a time. They look like long handled baby bottle brushes. I got mine in the paint sprayer section at my local hardware store for a couple bucks. I believe ive seen them at local fish stores as well. They could be cleaned every couple months imo. But im sure everyones can be cleaned more or less

I would always put a bucket under the tank and turn the valve on and off several times pretty quickly... that would generally flush the majority of the crap out. Then, when turning on the canister, just open the valve slowly to prevent the burst of mulm

Great! Thanks for all the responses! :)
This is what i use... I got them in the hardware store. They are rigid. I disconnect the tubes from the canister. Bring them up to the bath, use a liquid funnel and run fairly hot water through the tubes. This loosens the gunk and then gently use the rods to remove the gunk. I have regular, clear smooth tubes. The gunk comes out very easily. They look brand new when I'm done!!
I do this every six months or so...

Attachments

• DSCF7205.jpg
    DSCF7205.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF7211.jpg
    DSCF7211.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 37
A piece of long wire fed through the pipe with a rag tied to the end of it. Pull this through a few times in both directions and rinse well to get the loose stuff out. Works good.

Back
Top Bottom