do you recommend these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a good idea what size powerheads do you think i will need for my 37G? And do I really need 3 with running a sump?

I wouldn't recommend the rotating deflector for saltwater. Everything I've heard about them is that they're great for a bit, then the mechanical stuff gets encrusted and stops working.

Makes sense. I guess maybe i will go with the wave system but again how may PH's do I really need running a sump in a 37G tank

Personally... and just my opinion as I've never dabbled with them... but I think most the wavemakers out there are overrated. I mean, they're just timers that cycle your powerheads on and off. It's not the random/chaotic flow pattern you really want, it's just not constant. Seems like it'd still be a cyclical pattern, and a pattern is a pattern. The surge-type wavemakers seems like they might make more sense, but for small tanks they just take up too much room.

Personally, with a 37g, I'd just go with a couple powerheads with some creative "bank shots" of rocks or glass to get a somewhat chaotic flow pattern. I started out with MaxiJets in my 46g and liked them, but have since switched them out. The Hydor Koralias really give a lot bigger flow "cone" and it seems to make it easier to make a more chaotic pattern. Don't let the high flow rates on the Koralias fool you - the #2 at 600 gph in reality is more like a MaxiJet 900 at 230 gph... it's just a wider flow pattern.

But... if you're going with a wavemaker, I'd suggest 3 powerheads I suppose since they all won't be on at the same time. That's probably the right amount. Maybe 3x MaxiJet 900s? You can always start without a wavemaker and then add it later if you feel you need it. With or without a wavemaker, you're going to move your powerheads around 4 or 5 five times before you find the "right" combination. And then after you start adding corals, you start moving them again! :lol:

But I really like the Koralias! :lol:

cool thanks for the input I agree with you on the fact that it doesnt really seem like it would be "wavy" just by shutting off and turning on powerheads. I also like the maxijets i had them in my last tank and I never had a problem with them.

The rotating deflectors work great. Yes, they do need to be maintained. Once a month you need to pull it out and take it apart to clean it. That's about a 5 minute process. I used to soak them overnight in white vinegar then thoroughly scrub and rinse them in tap water. That removed all coralline algae traces and made them look and work like new, but it take more than 5 minutes. I have since switched to the Hydor Koralia 3 ph's for much increased flow.

Now you are making me re-consider purchasing the Maxi-jet wave maker system it seemed pretty cool. What would be a good purchase to make for a 46gallon if I was to choose the Hydor Koralias instead of the Maxi-jets????

You may want to look at The WaveMaster Pro. It also alternates the on/off of the power heads, but with a choice of patterns.

You may want to go with a pair of the Koralia 1 power heads. Aim them towards the same spot or at each other to create a chaotic water flow.

ahhh you guys are confusing me!!! lol. I love the maxijets but then again thats all i have had experience with... So all in all im a noob lol.

I have both maxi-jets and the hydor phs. Maxi-jets are awesome for a strong direct flow, but you have to watch the intakes, sometimes they will suck in your critters. I have seen my snails crawl accross the hydors and clean them without them getting sucked in. I have found the hydors definitely need to be cleaned at least once a month. I just soak in vinegar and use a toothbrush to clean them.

The MaxiJets have grated intake covers (at least the MJ1200's I have do), so I've had a critter get sucked into one. I much prefer the wider flow from the Koralia's.

i'm currently setting up my first reef tank, a 37g with a planned 10g sump, and i too was wondering about the number of PHs to get. i'd like to have maybe 20-30x turnover

going from what i've read, i'm thinking of two Hydor Koralia #2's (600GPH) positioned on opposite sides of tank facing the center. or perhaps 3 #1's (400GPH) with the same position but with the third flowing along the back of the tank behind the LR. two #3's 850GPH each might work too...

a few people who've bought the 1's or 2's said they wished they'd get the 3's or 4's, but is 2400GPH a bit overkill for a tank like mine?

my LFS said that just 2 powerheads would do the job for me.

You want to aim for a flow of 10x-20x tank capacity. That would be for all water movement including the main pump. I think 2 of the Koralia 2's would be good. I have 2 of the #3's in my 125, plus a Seio and my 700gph return pump.

I would put the two on the opposite sides of the back wall facing the front center wall. That should give you great all around flow in the tank.

I have had the hydor rotating tip thing (lol sorry) for months, and it works really well for me. Actually I had 2, one on either side. Anyway, my new plan is to have the hydor tip on my return (from the sump) right in the middle of the back-topish of the tank, then have 2 koralias in either top-back corner both facing towards the center of the tank. This way (in theory), the rotating head will disturb the flow of the 2 koralias as it spins on it's axis. Also, with the rotating head positioned this way, it will agitate the surface on every rotation too.

I donno if it will work, but it's worth a shot. Maybe you could consider something similar, with more or less of each product.

Back
Top Bottom