Does a Water Softener Affect Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I am looking at buying a whole house water softener for my home, But before I do, I wanted to find out if it would affect my aquarium at all? I use RO/DI from my tap, so I don't know if that will be affected by a softener either?

P.S. If it makes any difference, I was going to use Potasium Instead of Salt in the Softener.

Thanks for the help,

-TheChad

Water softeners actually improve the performance of RO units, so it would be a fine addition.

Plus, it could also help reduce the white hard water buildup everywhere.... around the hood, sinks, and stuff....

I have one. I am on well water and can tell when the salt runs out, the dishes, in the dishwasher get more build up. I don't know the difference between a Potasium or Salt softener.

roka64 said:
I have one. I am on well water and can tell when the salt runs out, the dishes, in the dishwasher get more build up. I don't know the difference between a Potasium or Salt softener.

From the research I have done, the Potasium lasts longer, is slightly more expensive than Salt, and doesn't have that slimy feeling that salt can give...

-TheChad

Hmmm, I haven't noticed a slimey feeling. My 40Lbs of salt lasts months. I think they only cost about $4-5 for a 40Lbs bag. I'll have to pay attention next time I buy some.

roka64 said:
Hmmm, I haven't noticed a slimey feeling. My 40Lbs of salt lasts months. I think they only cost about $4-5 for a 40Lbs bag. I'll have to pay attention next time I buy some.

Potasium is about $8-9 a 40lb bag, and lasts longer.

I think the slimy feeling depends on a few factors, and Is only noticed when you first get a softener, after ahwile you don't notice it anymore.

-TheChad

TheChad said:
roka64 said:

Potasium is about $8-9 a 40lb bag, and lasts longer.

I think the slimy feeling depends on a few factors, and Is only noticed when you first get a softener, after ahwile you don't notice it anymore.

-TheChad
LOL! Yeah, you probably are right. I did notice, the lemonade I made in Mytrly beach (non-well) tasted a lot different than at thome...

Back
Top Bottom