Does anyone have any experience with the Fluval 406 Canister Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efinch77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 75 gallon tank and a Rena XP M and a Fluval 406. After doing a full clean of the tank I cannot get the fluval to start pumping water. The impeller makes the grinding noise when it starts, I can pump the primer all day and nothing happens. Am I missing something? It was working a week ago before I turned it off. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Emmett

Hi I have this filter. Did you try emptying it before pumping it?

Hi Sara! Yes, I have tried it both ways, I have pulled out the media to make sure nothing was clogging it. Just can't seem to get it started again.

Hi. I have a 406 cannister and it can be a pain to get primed from empty. I find making sure the tank is properly filled to minimise the height it needs to draw sometimes helps with priming. If all else fails I end up pouring water down the intake with a jug to get the syphon affect started. Or if you have a pump (or are prepared to suck on the input pipe) this will get things moving as well.

Ive been advised that this is a common issue with the 06 range.

Hi. I have a 406 cannister and it can be a pain to get primed from empty. I find making sure the tank is properly filled to minimise the height it needs to draw sometimes helps with priming. If all else fails I end up pouring water down the intake with a jug to get the syphon affect started. Or if you have a pump (or are prepared to suck on the input pipe) this will get things moving as well.

Ive been advised that this is a common issue with the 06 range.

Do you recommend to have the canister running when you pour the water down the intake? And to clarify, you also recommend having the canister prefilled with water, correct? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i had the same issue i turned off the filter. With the connector attached i poured tank water down the intake to get as much air out of the pipework as i could. Connect it back up, open the valve and it should start pulling water through and fill the canister via syphon action. Turn the filter on and it should start running water through the system. Trick is to get the air out of the pipework so the syphon action will work.

Best bet though is to make sure the tank is fully filled as this is the best chance of the primer handle operating as intended. The less height it has the draw the more likely it is work correctly.

Not sure if you know how the 06 range operates, but I think the input is purely gravity and syphon action and the impeller returns water to the tank. Correct me if im wrong.

I found a few youtube videos on the issue and how to get round it, and someone who knows way more than me said the primer not working properly is a common issue with 06 range.

Hope this helps, im not great at explaining things. There is a youtube video on a channel called Nate Cravillion that shows pretty much what i did but with a lot less mess and swearing.

When i had the same issue i turned off the filter. With the connector attached i poured tank water down the intake to get as much air out of the pipework as i could. Connect it back up, open the valve and it should start pulling water through and fill the canister via syphon action. Turn the filter on and it should start running water through the system. Trick is to get the air out of the pipework so the syphon action will work.

Best bet though is to make sure the tank is fully filled as this is the best chance of the primer handle operating as intended. The less height it has the draw the more likely it is work correctly.

Not sure if you know how the 06 range operates, but I think the input is purely gravity and syphon action and the impeller returns water to the tank. Correct me if im wrong.

I found a few youtube videos on the issue and how to get round it, and someone who knows way more than me said the primer not working properly is a common issue with 06 range.

Hope this helps, im not great at explaining things. There is a youtube video on a channel called Nate Cravillion that shows pretty much what i did but with a lot less mess and swearing.

You were correct sir! After watching that video, it filled and started right up. Thanks everyone for your help! (y)

Back
Top Bottom