does anyone know the wattages of these filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay penguin 125, emperor 280, and whisper 5-15. my dad was telling me the normal electricity bill is usually 80-90$. then he told me its like 169$ this month. and he blamed it on my pond filter and my fish etc. everything in general takes about 8.84$ a month and like 108$ a year. is this good??. and does anyone know the wattages for the filters above?. or is there a trick so many watts per gallon per hour?

My electrical bills are around $90 per month and i am running a 3600 gph pump full time, a 4x65w PC + 24 hour moonlite, a 2x65w pc, 2 flourescent strips, 2 HOB, 1 submersible filter, 1 pond pump, 1 air pump, 7 heaters, 5 Maxi Jet 1200s, etc...

I think it adds about $10-$20 month max. Not to mention the computers, the lights, the hot tub, etc...

Year, krap, all the equipment in my sig only adds about $10 a month to my electric bill.
My most powerful filter, the Eheim 2026, is rated at only 25W That adds up to about 18kWh per month - $3, and I pay the highest electric rates in the country.

I bet your jump was due to the air conditioner. My electric bill went from $80 to $112 this past month because I've been running the air conditioner whenever I'm home. Ask your dad to check the refrigerator too- a bad door gasket will run up your electric bill in no time!

Wow, I'd never think of checking the refrigerator door- good call. Let us know if you find out, Krap. Btw, good luck with the 10 fry. :wink:

That happened to me in my previous apartment - bad fridge door gasket and ridiculously high electric bills. It took weeks of arm-twisting before the landlord finally replaced my refrigerator. I guess they were in no particular hurry because I was paying the electric bill, not them.

most hob filters and powerheads use between 5 to 15 watts. Hagen lists the wattage in there manuals. My 201 powerhead uses 6 watts.

I cannot find the specifications that show the wattages for those specific filters, but I can tell you athat all three consume less than a total of 50W, which, even running 24 hours a day, and even with a really high kWh electricity cost, will work out to less than $15/month.....so its something else.

I'll second the refrigerator as the culprit, too, assuming your father is aware of the AC being used (it always goes up in the summer from AC) and don't forget to vacuum the grill on the back of the fridge- that gets clogged up and robs performance.

yeah thx guys. i woulda never thought the fridge. and would a florescent light thingy take less energy than a 10 or 5 gallon incandescent?. because it only said like 20w. which i am presuming as watts. and the 5 gallon is 25 watts and the 10 gallon is like 50-60.

i know air conditioning can put up the electricity bill but to double it? thats a bit much. i think there has to be something else.

oh and lol. i blew a plug a couple months ago :). one already didnt work so i had to get an extension cord and plug my lights in like 15 ft away. i only have like 2 by my tanks and 2 15 ft away. i have a strip on both of the plugs by my tanks and a timer on the other one.

anyway wuts a gas kit anyway?

Its always funny how people blame aquariums as the " Major electrical black hole " when they neglect bad seals, AC's being left on when the doors are open, ect ect ect.

lol i know. and im pretty only like 1/16 of the cost but im 1/7 of the family :). i should be buying more mwahahahahaha

If you blew a circuit and it was on a 15amp breaker you were drawing something like 1800 watts. If you assume that you average half that over a 24 hour day you get 21.6 kWh multiply that for 30 days and you have 648 kWh. Our charge for the first 800 kWh is $0.06419 per kWh. Given those numbers it would cost $41.60 to operate your tank. If it was a 10 amp cirucit you could knock that down to about $27.75 for the month.

Are these numbers accurate?
Anyone?, Anyone?...

bound_for_obx said:
Are these numbers accurate?
Anyone?, Anyone?...

No completely sure, but my house electricity runs about $100-$125/month, and that includes powerfilters on almost all my tanks, tank heaters, lights, and all my reptile lights and heaters.....and I pay about $0.04-$0.06 per kWh. I do not, however, have an electric clothing dryer (BIG electricity eaters) or AC, and I run my oven only rarely.

Switching all your incandescent lamps over to those screw-in fluorescents can save you 300+ kWh/month easily...they are well worth it, and now available for $2-$3/bulb (which seems a bit, but they use about 1/4 of the electricity, and last 5x as long as a regular bulb). Plus, you can use these in incandescent aquarium light fixtures, and get 8x the light, and grow plants.

Back
Top Bottom