Does bulb brand matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My lights need their bulbs replaced shortly and i've found some nice deals on "noname" type on ebay and local stores, do i need specific coralife bulbs or will a generic 21" straight pin work just fine? I'm assuming 10k is 10k and actinic is actinic regardless of manufacturer

for reference my lighting setup is a coralife 2x65 watt setup:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13733&N=2004+113345

I'm assuming 10k is 10k and actinic is actinic regardless of manufacturer
If things were only that easy heh. Many times there will be a difference from manufacturer to manufacturer, even if it's just a little. Cheaper bulbs may not last as long, and may be more prone to spectrum shifts w/ usage. Hopefully someone w/ experience w/ them and can offer more info.

I've got basically the same fixture as you except with lunar lights. I was thinking about going with 22'' Current replacement bulbs since they are about $3 cheaper than the coralifes but I decided to stick with Coralife since I already like the look the bulbs give and I needed a 32 watt bulb for my ten gallon that I could only find at hellolights so going all coralife.

And as MT said bulbs vary from manufacturer to manufacter. And I think if you get the cheap stuff then you get what you pay for so I might as well spend a couple extra dollars on bulbs that I know I like and perform well.

I hardly think that buying tubes from Philips, GE, or Sylvania, is buying poor quality. They are cheap because of the volume of their builds, not because of the quality.

Back
Top Bottom