Does the more filtration you have equal less water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes and no. It really depends on what you consider as filtration.

More filtration will allow you to keep a heavier bioload because it keeps the water clear and converts ammonia to nitrate quickly. It does not remove nitrates from the water though, and nitrates are the main reason to do PWCs.

I have seen chemical denitrators and live plants naturally use up nitrates. If you consider these filtration, then I guess you could say that more filtration does allow fewer water changes.

Does the more filtration you have equal less water changes? Discus/stingy tank.

Not at all. Mostly the water changes are done to lower nitrate levels. No filter in the world will filter nitrates, so, there you are. fewer fish could = fewer water changes. More fish = more water changes.

With rare exceptions, weekly PWC are best for the health of your fish, no matter what your bioload or filtration is.

That's not exactly true. There are nitrate filters you can buy, as well as make.

I suppose that's true but, heh, you have to be some kind of fanatic to pursue that. That said, if you REALLY hate changing water, it's kind of nice.

I suppose that's true but, heh, you have to be some kind of fanatic to pursue that. That said, if you REALLY hate changing water, it's kind of nice.

The DIY option is just an aglae filter....but maintaining the filter is probably just as much work as the waterchange.

Back
Top Bottom