Doubts with recently purchased spider wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1dKnight

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I’m new to aquarium and aquascape builds and I just bought some spider wood from a popular chain pet store, I of course expected the tannins and discoloration with the the new wood, however I noticed that the spider wood was kind of slimey and would make the water cloudy, so my question is, did I just end up with a bad batch of spider wood or is this normal and should I have left the tank running to clear out the cloudiness? [the tank I’m using is a 3 gallon with live plants but low tech with no substrate or CO2, if any of that matters] I got too excited and ended up purchasing and putting fish in the first time around and most of them died, (guppies and tetras)the water was reading 7.2. Is there something wrong with the spider wood or was I too quick to stock my tank? Any insight or tips would help.

Your ph didn't kill your fish, the uncycled tank did (ammonia and possibly nitrites) sorry they didn't make it tho. The wood will eventually stabilize, and the tank too. Read up on tank cycling. Carbon in your filter will help clear the water. Wash the fungus from the driftwood and reinstall, it should be fine. And good luck!

I’ve had this ordeal as well. A complete coating in slime like snot. I read not to panic, and to leave alone and either snails/shrimp would’ve taken care of it. I pulled, washed off, boiled for a bit and it’s all good. Should’ve left it but no worries.

Back
Top Bottom