Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jham9980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a piece of Manopi driftwood and wanted to use it in my 10 gallon tank. How long can I soak it in water before I place it in my tank?? I have been boiling it for about 15 min everyday for 4 days and letting it soak but seems like the water is still dark brown like tea. Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try boiling it for a little longer, such as an hour. And after boiling it, you can let it sit in the hot water for a while.

Oh ok...I'll try that

I am going through the same waiting/soaking game with my Mopani wood. I was reading up on filtering methods to help remove tannins and Seachem Purigen comes highly recommended. You just add it to your filter media and it pulls most of the tannins right out of the water. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and try it. I will be doing a large pwc and adding my Mopani wood tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok thanks!

I'm not sure what kind of driftwood I have but I remember having the same issue. I eventually just put the driftwood in my tank. Then I noticed the water in the tank did start to darken slightly after a couple of weeks so I did some early water changes. After a couple of months or so the water didn't darken as much. After years, it didn't change at all. Keep in mind, boiling is a severe condition which you won't see in your tank. Hopefully the driftwood will stabilize in your tank after some amount of time even though it didn't with boiling. Good luck.

I'm going through the driftwood changing the color of my fish tank as well. After plenty of research I have found out that purigen takes the tannins right out of the water overnight! I am headed to the store now as well. I too soaked my wood for over an hour twice, but it didn't work. From what I have read, purigen is a gift from above. It keeps the tank crystal clear! Read the article that is in this same group but more recent. There's about 5 pages on it and people post before and after photos

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is a before and after photo of my tank after I put purigen in. only 5 hours later you can see the color change drastically. I can't wait to see it tomorrow morning. This stuff works wonders

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410678003833.jpg
    1410678003833.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom