Driftwood, how long to soak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darklight

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just picked up a piece of this at my LFS and wondered how long I should soak this for to remove tannins etc before adding to my tank? I added a bog wood piece about 10 years ago and can't remember what the soaking process is now!

Soak it in warm water until the water is dark brown, then dump out the water and repeat until the water item wins clear for 30 min at least this will remove most but not all of the tannis so if you wanted to you could soak it longer. Remember to rinse it with water similar to your tank though right before you put it in.

The time is variable from piece to piece. I have had some finish in less than 2 weeks. I have one piece now thats smaller than most of the pieces I already have but it has been soaking for almost 2 months and is still leaching tannins heavily. I have been doing daily water changes and soaking in a bucket. Not sure when it will be done, but it is a really nice piece of mopani.

Cool, yeah wood is a great centre piece for tanks :). Only just startef mine soaking, looks like a while yet for mine!

Back
Top Bottom