Dual corner vs. center overflow for 135 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyLLU

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

I'm designing a new 135 gallon standard tank. I was wondering if dual corner overflows or a center overflow box is best... Any suggestions??

What are the dimensions? I like as little overflow as possible taking up the display, but if the tank is very long, you might want two.

I opted for the large center overflow when I ordered my 135 a few years back,.... It's really probably just a personal choice ,.. As long as you have good water flow thru out your tank it probably really wouldn't mater

Cool! Thanks trapezoid or square? I prefer the one that takes up the least volume..

Cool! Thanks trapezoid or square? I prefer the one that takes up the least volume..

My tank is the same size,..I like the trapezoid ( mine too ) because I think it looks a little cleaner and I think it'll add to a smoother water flow .

I have had two 240g tanks in recent times. The original had corner overflows and the newer one has center. For an 8', I kinda like the corners a little better. On a shorter tank, I think I would go center.

Are you buying it built with the overflows or doing it yourself?

Can you guys give me some suggestions on the size of the drains and the returns?? This is gonna be for a FOWLR tank.

Thanks!

I have a single 1 1/2 " pvc drain which then converts into a dual 1-1 1/4" drain which dumps out into 2 filter socks entering my sump.... As a return i run a mag 12 feeding a line which splits with two return nozzles located about an 1 1/2 from the top of the center over flowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387821795.100772.jpg

That looks nice...

Can you send a pic of the returns on your overflow box?

Also, do you have a standpipe in your box?

Tough to get picture of nozzles with iphone ., but there's an adjustable dual nozzle on each side of overflow... Re ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387828281.964261.jpgthe stand pipe., i have one but never installed it because imo it was just never that noisy

Back
Top Bottom