Durso stand pipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miesenjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got my new tank filled and running to check for leaks. Can changing the size of the hole on top of the cap change how much air is dumped in to the sump with the water? just about all the noise i am getting is from the air falling with the water in to the sump. the drain is 6 to 8" deep in the sump, and it seems the tank surges as well. my other thought is my pump is moveing the water too fast. Can i put a valve in the pump return to slow the water?

1. The hole in the Durso controls the amount of air & so the noise. You need to experiment a bit to find the best size. The size will need to be adjusted with any change in the flow rate (eg a new pump.) <Generally, it is quietest when the water level in the overflow is around the mid-point of the T inh the Durso.>

2. Restricting the flow of the pump (with valves, constricted tube) stresses the pump & wears it out. It is better to put a T in the return line, with one arm of the T returning to the display, and the other arm diverted back to the sump. You control the amount of water diverted with a valve at the arm that diverts back to the sump.

this overflow

It seems the water level is at the top of the "t" section, not the top of the t fitting. it is at the top of the sholder of the 90 where the horazontal part meets the vertical.?? Hard to describe. i have read it should be 1/2 way up the vertical aprt of the t, yet my level is all the way up the 1 1/2 horazontal part. It might be too much flow. I think the idea of the tee in the return insted of the restricting valve makes sense, and I can then lower the level on the stand pipe. I am going to take a pic. to clarifiy the part and level i am having trouble explaining. I can't post till at work wed. Thanks!

Here is a few pics of the stand pipe and sump. I think the water is too high in the tee. If i installa tee and valve do return the excess water to the return in the sump ot the skimmer chamber or other?

Attachments

• P4150371.jpg
    P4150371.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 207
  • P4150374.jpg
    P4150374.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 242
  • P4150375.jpg
    P4150375.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 193
It all made sense suddenly!!! I used the valve on the discharge to slow the water way down till onlt 1/2 the tee was showing. It is quiet. I will install the tee in the return to keep full flow from the pump. Do i dump the excess in the overflow return. or does it make no difference as long as it is back in the sump anywhere?

Thanks so much.

It doesn't really matter as long as the water from the diverted limb gets back into the sump, but I would think it will be quietest if you route it directly from the pump to the sump & discharge it underwater.

Glad it is working out for you!

Have my tee installed in the return and now dumps the extra water back in to the sump controled by a ball valve. works good.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom