eBay float switches and drop checkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gravereaper0

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the process of setting up my tank and have run into a snag. Can't figure how to setup the ATO. Seen it all from gravity fed t0 commercially available $200 units.
I've seen the DIY versions where people just splice a $2 eBay float switch to extension cords and pumps, but how safe would one feel working on his/her tank knowing there's a $2 part in the water that's got 120 volts running through it.
I've also seen the float switch setups from autotopoff.com Looks nice, but a double switch with a run dry mod + pump you're looking at close to a $100.
Last but not least you got the commercial stuff. The JBJ ATO seems very easy to setup and use, seen em selling for $80, so again + pump its around a $100.

Don't want a gravity fed system, don't have that kind of head room inside the stand and don't want anything out of the stand that's got to do with the aquarium (other than the chiller). So what do most of you run? I can go the cheap route and make one, but how safe/reliable are those float switches?
And if not which one would you guys buy first, the JBJ unit or the ato.com unit, seems well built.

And can I position a drop checker in the sump or will that give me a false reading?

Back
Top Bottom