Eclipse lighting problem-Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks
I have an Marineland Eclipse 3 gal tank that the light just quit. Before I buy a $10 bulb, I noticed the ballast which is sealed all one piece in the lighting unit is brown/black in spots on its outer casing--Is this normal? Can you buy this entire white plastic lighting molded unit? Any troubleshooting advice is appreciated! I have live plants that wont make it without this light! Thanks

Condensation builds up under the plastic and causes weird algaes, which are totally harmless. Just wipe it off when you install the new bulb.

Folks--these brown/black spots are not algae--they are discoloration from the heat of the ballast I assume--even the plastic housing is bumpy/irregular. Can i put a voltmeter on the pin ends of the unit where bulb attached and check to see if correct voltage is present? 120v? Thanks

If it's just a CFL, don't waste your money on the Marineland bulb. A cheap daylight spectrum CFL works just as well.

I've seen the spots you're talking about on my Eclipse 5g, but it's really not something I've worried about. When my wife and I moved into our house, the local transformer was screwed up, so we were getting 138-150VAC out of our outlets. I have a feeling the high voltage fried the bulb and the burn spots occurred when the ballast kicked the bucket.

If you want to test your voltage, go ahead. It would probably be safer to test at the outlet. Less chance of accidental contact and shocks.

Folks---Ballast is blown--ugh
I guess I'll call Marineland for an entire replacement lighting unit

Back
Top Bottom