Eclipse system 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of getting an eclipse system 3gal aquarium, it will be heated. Any suggestions for fish that i would be able to keep in this. I have been doing some research, and all of the sites i came across said that a ten gal minimum is what most fish need. I don't have room for another ten gal, so i was thinking just a small little tank. Any suggestions for fish would be really greatly appreciated.

any other fish besides bettas that i would be able to put in there, i know it may be pushing it for swimming space. I might be able to upgrade to a eclipse 5gal. other types of fish do you think besides bettas. I aklready have four bettas as it is.(four is enough)

Guppies, maybe a male and female pair. What about female bettas? You can't have enough of those.

plecoperson said:
I just got some of these guys on AquaBid:

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/default.aspx?pageid=98

They're incredibly tiny. You could have 5 or 6 in a 3-gallon tank. I think with plants and a snail it could be a cool little miniature world, though the fish are quite plain in appearance!

OH I really like that suggestion ! I've never seen those fish before and now I'm interested in setting up my own little miniature world just like you described !!

Jason - whatdaya think ?

that sounds really neat! I love that idea. I have never seen those in any of my lfs. I also like the fancy guppy idea. If i ever see some of those tiny fish i will get them, but if i don't find any, i will try a guppy pair. The thing is, i have never had any luck with keeping anything other than feeder guppies. I used to have a guppy pair, but they died in a few days after getting them, but the tank parameters were fine, and i added a few teaspoons of aquarium salt, just like the fish store people told me. I dunno what went wrong. If i do get the 3gal then i would definately plant it. Any suggestions for low-light plants that would be ok in this tank?

Thanks so much for your help everyone :D

Wow! That is a great find!

Check this out (from the link above):

Breeding: Easy. The fish is so small that rather than the monthly broods typical of poeciliids, the female practices superfetation, producing a couple of young on almost a daily basis. The fry are consequently large, much like the fry of other small poeciliids such as guppies. Thus, females are always gravid with young in all stages of development. Parents rarely eat the fry, and with plant cover, most will survive.

yeah, the tiny fish do sound good, but i have been reading up about them, and i think that they are illegal in canada becuase they are able to withstand colder temperatures, alot of fish like them are outlawed in canada becuase they dont want them getting into the watersheds(such as the great lakes, which i live close to.) I really want some, but i have never seen any at a lfs. I will keep an eye out, i am going to get my new aquarium tomorrow, i will have a look in london ont. and around my area. If not, i think i will go with the fancy guppies.

If I may, I would reccomend getting something else. I'm really not fond of my eclipse 12, you can't upgrade the lighting because it won't support higher wattage so your stuck with extremely low light. That means you can't grow plants, plus they are acrylic which means most aquarium stands don't support it properly. The filter is not that great, it uses part of the filter cardridge and the rest never touches the water (it uses a fall down method where the water falls from top to bottom through the filter instead of being pushed through the side like most filters) and the only cartridges that fit it are made by marineland which means they are expensive.

I would reccomend getting a glass tank starter kit. I know Petsmart sell up to 55 gallon starter kits from Top Fin, you would like that a lot more. What I don't know is if you have a petsmart. I would also reccomend going a bit larger than 3 gallons. 10 gallon tanks are cheap, and often the same price as the smaller tanks.

If you can't get a starter kit, get a 10 gallon tank, 50w submersible heater, an aquaclear (or similar) HOB filter and a good light hood. It will cost you no more than $50 (I don't know what that is in candian currency) and thats probably on the high side.

I dont have enough room for the ten gal though, i already have an extra ten gal tank sitting downstairs in the basement, but i dont have enough room in my bedroom to set it up. I could upgrade to a 5gal started kit, and that is the biggest i could go. I am only 15, and don't have a job so monet is also a factor, i cant spend more than 50 dollars on this thing(excluding fish). What does everybody think of this tank: http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...45789&itemNo=19&Nao=12&In=Fish&N=2030099&Ne=2

Back
Top Bottom