Ecotech Vortech Powerheads.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. Got a quick question before I lay out $900 on power heads. :)
Does anyone have any experience with the Ecotech Vortech MP40 power heads? Are they as good as they claim? The two things I love about them are the motor is outside the tank and the programmability for creating waves and slowing things down for feeding.
I’ve got a 90g FOWLR and currently have 3 Koralia 1400’s, 2 on the left 1 on the right. I want to get a wave maker and in the plan somewhere down the line is a ReefKeeper controller but these power heads got my attention too. :)
How many of the Vortech’s do you think I would need? I’m thinking at least two for the wave action but would that be enough? Any other ideas?

The Vortech's are worth every penny. They are simply awesome and they move a ton of water. If you ever need customer support, they are top notch.

In a 90, depending upon your tank, 1 Mp40 might be enough. Certainly 2 would be great. While the wave action is cool, I run all of mine either on reefcrest or full constant. I'm moving 300 gallons across an 8' tank and I prefer more confusion in the flow pattern.

Having the motor outside of the tank will also keep heat out of the tank, and you would be surprised how much heat these little pumps make. If you havent seen how they run, check out some of the videos on YouTube.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Yeah heat is a big problem for me right now. I was looking at chillers awhile ago. I for got that as a plus also.

Back
Top Bottom