Eggcrate top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had some extra egg crate after the fuge build and tried it as a top to the tank to replace the glass. Darkened the tank a lot. I removed it and am back to 3/4 coverage with glass. Just thought I would share for anyone else that was considering eggcrate.

What kind of glass are you using? I am debating the egg crate thing too with a Orbit compact on my 46g bowfront, however I want a real cover.

I've got the AGA glass top, but I removed the back plastic piece and the hinges so it's just a small and larger piece of glass on each side.

I have a glass over my water but under the lights in my hood. The glass really gets hot with the lights and I am nervous having the lights over the water with nothing in between. How dangerous would it be if I just took out the glass?

I run open top tank on my reef. I bought some eggcrate but never bothered to use it. I got my hands in the tank to much. lol But, I could see how it would decrease the light. The light can only shoot down through the egg crate. So, the only real light you get is right down the middle, the rest would be blocked somewhat by the thickness of the eggcrate. I know what I mean but not sure I'm saying it right. lol
Open top is ok Meredith. IMO It's what you prefer. Just gotta be careful what you put in the tank as far as fish that are known jumpers. And, keep the water level up so there is no splashing onto the bulbs.

dralarms said:
I'm gonna try the reflective type just as soon as I can catch it on sale.
FYI If your refering to the reflective eggcrate skip it. Its painted with a metallic painnt that WILL peel and you end up with chips of metallic paint in your tank.

If your refering to the reflective eggcrate skip it. Its painted with a metallic painnt that WILL peel and you end up with chips of metallic paint in your tank.

Thanks, guess I'll skip it then

I'm going to take my glass off today! I am still worried about fire hazard, but the water got up to 84 yesterday. The fish seemed fine, but I wasn't liking that much.

Well I dont care about water splashing flourescant bulbs, I honestly dont think they will burst because all the times I have gotten mine wet they never had.

I WAS worried about salt getting all over the bulbs (Having to clean them, fire hazard, etc)

So I cut a peice of plexiglass that hangs 3" or so below the lights (its the size of the lights, but its not all over the tank, which still allows plenty of light to go everywhere)

That cuts back on the salt getting up onto the lights quite a bit. All I gotta do now is wash that plexiglass off once in a while.

I just read all of these posts and the only thing that came to mind was that all aquariums should be on a ground fault interrupter for safety sake.
That way noone gets electricuted in the process of cleaning or working on the tank. They are not expensive and sure give you peace of mind when working in the tank. You can either put the plug type in or the breaker type in. Either will work fine. And no I am not an electrician. Just my 2cents. :D

Back
Top Bottom