eheim 2013(2213) canister filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetonyage

Aquarium Advice Regular
i recently acquired this filter from a friend with no owner manual. i think i have all the filter media installed right but the thing wont work. it wont suck up any water. i try to suck on the outlet to start a siphon but the canister just wont fill. even when i fill the whole canister with water it will not circulate. it sounds like the pump is working but nothing happens. if anyone has one of these or knows anything about them help would be much appreciated.

i recently acquired this filter from a friend with no owner manual. i think i have all the filter media installed right but the thing wont work. it wont suck up any water. i try to suck on the outlet to start a siphon but the canister just wont fill. even when i fill the whole canister with water it will not circulate. it sounds like the pump is working but nothing happens. if anyone has one of these or knows anything about them help would be much appreciated.

You do have the canister sitting below the tank when you suck on the out flow tube???

Once you get the water to suck up in the intake line it should fill fast. It doesn't take much.

Don't know about Ehiems specifically, but for canisters that won't run:

1. check that the impeller is not gummed up/ broken. <Motor may hum & appears to run, but if the impeller is broken, nothing will happen.> This is the most likely reason ... sometimes cleaning with vinegar to get rid of deposits may fix things, or you need a new impeller if broken.
2. Check all seals are airtight.
3. Try running the canister empty (remove all filter baskets, etc.) in case something si obstructing it.
4. check nothing is blocking the hoses.

This si the assembly diagram for the filter .. in case you did not hook it up right:
http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/images/1213.gif

the impeller is working and i cleaned it all out, no obstructions. the only thing i can think of is maybe i should get some kind of o-ring that will fit around the pump to make it airtight to the canister.

the impeller is working and i cleaned it all out, no obstructions. the only thing i can think of is maybe i should get some kind of o-ring that will fit around the pump to make it airtight to the canister.

There should be one on it if not yes. :cool:

On the link I posted, the o-ring is # 7273118. You must have that or the thing won't work! Also, a leaking o-ring will break the siphon, sometimes lubing it with vaseline may work, but generally new o-rings are needed.

just ordered a new o-ring for 7 bucks should be here in a few days ill let you all know if (hopefully it is) that was the problem. thanks for the replies everybody.

for future reference (this is what i did) take one of every o-ring on the filter and go to ace hardware... i got 10 extras of each for about $.05 each...

Back
Top Bottom