Eheim 2026 or 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quake2player

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted this in the Equipment forum and only had 14 views over the weekend... so tryin here:

For my current 29gal recently planted tank, I think this is heavily stocked:

16 Neons
3 Rosey Barbs
1 Guppy
1 Cherry Barb
2 Panda Corys
1 Peppered Cory
2 SAE
1 Flying Fox
1 Singapore/Wood Shrimp
2 Amano/Japonica Shrimp

I only have 1 Penguin HOT w/bio-wheel filter running. Been doing weekly partial changes to handle the bio-load. Now after a couple of weeks of converting the tank to a planted tank, I'm seriously considering adding on a cannsiter filter. I am sold on Eheim's craftmanship and reliability and I've also read many posts from a supportive Rena Filster group on this forum. But here's what it boils down to my final choices:

Eheim 2222: $109.99 at Big Al's, link:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22029;category_id=2965;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

OR
Eheim 2026: $164.99 at Big Al's, link:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22003;category_id=2965;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

So I am wondering for the extra $55, is it worth for a little extra flow-rate for just a 29 gal tank? I keep reading that "over" filtration is good, but I also don't want to go overboard. I understand more filtration can't hurt... but I also don't want to ruin my newly planted tank with to much water disturbance with a "too" powerful cannister filter.

Any opinions?

I have the 2026 running on my 58 gal for about 18 months, and I have been delighted with it. The filter is whisper quiet and is well built. Eheim has an excellent reputation for design and quality, however, not all lfs carry Eheim spare parts and media.

Based on my own experience with the 2026, and what I've read about the 2222 on the Eheim website, here are the main differences.

The 2026 has a self priming feature that is useful when you are first setting up, or cleaning the unit. Pressing the large button on top of the filter purges air out of the return hose, and fills the intake hose with water. The 2222 doesn't seem to have this feature.
The 2026 has a built in flow gauge and you can adjust the output with a lever. Again, these features appear to be lacking in the 2222.
The 2222 is rated at 132 gal/hr, and recommended for tanks up to 40 gal. The 2026 is rated at 251 gal/hr, and recommended for tanks up to 92 gal.

The 2222 would be more than adequate for your fully stocked 29 gal tank.
If you see yourself upgrading to a 55 in the next two or three years, then the 2026 may be a better investment for the extra 55 bucks. By adjusting the spray bar and/or the flow output, you can avoid excess current that may disturb your plants.

Thanks for the detailed comparison! How minimal can the output flow be cranked down to on the 2026? Can it be cranked down to a point where you can throw flake food and it'd float around rather then being "blown" around?
I imagine with a reduced flow rate on the 2026, I may only have to touch it once/year.

Back
Top Bottom