Eheim 2028: How Often Should Media and Filter Pads Be Changed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Eheim 2028 filter in a 55 gallon tank. I also am running an AquaClear 110 filter on this tank. It had previously housed 3 gold fish, it currently has 7 platys in it.

What is the recommended maintenance schedule for replacing the media in this filter? The Maintenance section of the manual describes a couple of different approaches, but doesn't offer any guidance as to how long the filter media will last. Here is what I did get from the manual:

1. Rinse the media

"Remove lattice screen, pad and media containers from the filter canister. Thoroughly rinse medium in the medium container under running luke-warm water – until the water is clear."

I am assuming the above is a "rinse and reuse the media" technique.

However, later in same section, the manual states:

2. When replacing the media:

"Tip: When replacing SUBSTRATpro about one third of the used filter medium should be mixed with the new material to speed up bacteria recolonization."

No mention if the "leave 1/3 of the old media" rule applies to the Eheim Mech media (the tube-like filter media that goes in the bottom media basket).

The manual also advises to replace the white filter pad each time the filter is cleaned, and to rinse and reuse the blue filter pads 2 or 3 times.

What is missing is any kind of maintenance schedule recommendation. Can someone share some advice or best practices for maintaining this filter? How many times or how long the media can be rinsed and returned to service before it must be replaced.

Thanks in advance any ideas on this..

Generally I don't replace media until it's completely falling apart. as long as it's rinseable, it's reusable IMO.

It's important to note, though, to only rinse using old tank water. Rinsing it in "like-warm running water" will kill the bacteria (unless you don't have city water or a treated source). So typically when doing a PWC you'd want to collect a few gallons of water in a bucket and use that to rinse with. Contact with any chlorine will almost instantly kill the bacteria.

Also, do keep it out of the water any longer than necessary when rinsing, as this can kill the bacteria as well.

Thanks for the advice. I will just stick with rinsing the media and if needed, replacing the mesh pads.

The AquaClear 110 also includes a media called BioMax that looks similar in appearance to the Eheim Mech "tube-like in appearance". It also has a foam component that I rinse, but do not change. I'll just apply the same rule of thumb that "unless it is physically deteriorating" I will not change it.

With the two filters in this tank, it's probably over-filtered, anyway, if that is possible.

Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom