Eheim 2215 filter flow weak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an eheim 2215 on a 29 gal and lately it seems the outflow is weaker than it used to be.

I took it apart and cleaned it today. But still weak! Any suggestions??

Also if I shake the canister it spits out a little air.. Almost like its trapped air and never fully pushed it out. But it doesn't seem to help I've been shaking it a bunch to get the air out.

I saw a thread similar to this not too long ago. Someone suggested cleaning the impeller and it worked. It may work for you too.

I saw a thread similar to this not too long ago. Someone suggested cleaning the impeller and it worked. It may work for you too.

I cleaned the hoses, and that seemed to help a lot. But I didn't mess with the impeller at all. I could look at that.

Sonnds like the impeller to me. I have the same filter and my flow was starting to decrease also. I was amazed at how much stuff was on the impeller when I pulled it out the first time. It is now just part of my maint. schedule every couple of media changes , it only takes a few minutes to clean it.

Remove the wing nut looking plastic piece on the bottom of the motor and then pull the impeller out , clean the recess in the motor for the impeller , I use a small brush and some Q tips then blow it out with a garden hose , disassemble and clean the impeller ; be careful not to loose the rubber caps on the impeller shaft ends and don't bend the shaft since it is ceramic . Reassemble in reverse order and good to go.

Can almost guarantee that will get it back where it should be for flow.

The air is pretty much normal. I gently shake mine a couple times to get most of the air out and just let the rest work it's way out by itself. Should have no effect at all on the flow issue.

Clean the impeller make sure you don't have to much media packed in to tight

Make sure the double taps are clean and open fully and no unneeded bends in the hoses

To get the air out just give it a few shakes

Okay! After cleaning the hoses, and the impeller its back to about where it used to be! So I think it's good now! There was a brownish slim in the hose and on the impeller, I think that was the culprit!

Thanks a lot guys for all your recommendations n such!

Sounds like it.

My hoses had a good amount of the slime in them also. I used a piece of wire with a loop twisted on one end and took a small piece of filter floss tucked it through the loop and pulled it through the hoses to clean them out then rinsed them well. Worked really good and best of all it was free.

Sounds like it.

My hoses had a good amount of the slime in them also. I used a piece of wire with a loop twisted on one end and took a small piece of filter floss tucked it through the loop and pulled it through the hoses to clean them out then rinsed them well. Worked really good and best of all it was free.

Yeah, I hooked my hoses up to our outside watering hose and just turned them on full blast luckily enough it was strong enough to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom