Eheim 300w heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody have the same filter? How do you calibrate it? I know you're suppose to move the red dial to the left or right and then what? My heater is set to 80F but it will stop when it reaches 76F. Very frustrating.

I never trust the dial. Start in the middle of the dial, leave the heater in the tank for at least 30 minutes to let become the same temperatureas the water. Now plug it in most have a light to indicate it's on. let it run until the light turns off or the temp comes up to what you want. If the light stays on after your tank reaches your desired temperature then turn the dial down until the light goes off. Do not leave while adjusting. Use a separate Thermometer to verify your tank temperature. A cheep glass one is better the the stick on strips. Once you have it close move the dial in small steps and check every couple of hours.

A 300w is a large heater I use 2 in my 180 gallon. Two is case one should die.

P.S. I assume your talking heater and not filter.

Last edited:
ezy33 said:
I never trust the dial. Start in the middle of the dial, leave the heater in the tank for at least 30 minutes to let become the same temperatureas the water. Now plug it in most have a light to indicate it's on. let it run until the light turns off or the temp comes up to what you want. If the light stays on after your tank reaches your desired temperature then turn the dial down until the light goes off. Do not leave while adjusting. Use a separate Thermometer to verify your tank temperature. A cheep glass one is better the the stick on strips. Once you have it close move the dial in small steps and check every couple of hours.

A 300w is a large heater I use 2 in my 180 gallon.

I have my heater set to 80F. Right now it is off and the tank temp is 76F. I have the small glass thermometer on the opposite side of the tank. Should I move the red dial towards higher temp? I have a 125g. Thanks. It seems to happen when I do my pwc and I turn off the whole thing(filter, heater, etc.)

Yeah, just turn it up a hair more..

And yes, it is a good idea to have two smaller heaters than one if possible.

My aqueon heater is the same way.. Set to 82, but holding the tank at 78..

cjldad said:
Yeah, just turn it up a hair more..

And yes, it is a good idea to have two smaller heaters than one if possible.

My aqueon heater is the same way.. Set to 82, but holding the tank at 78..

2 heaters in case the other one malfunction, even heat distribution, more accurate temp?

Is it ok to add a 100w eheim and put it on the other end of the tank?

This is a large tank, so.....

There are a couple ways to do the task.. I prefer my tank components to be hidden, so I have my primary heater set to hold the tank at 78 and a backup set to hold the tank at 76.. This way I can keep both of them hidden behind a home built cover for my filter supply line..

The other way, which most people seem to run, is to take the tank heater requirement (approx. 4-5watts per gallon) and divide by two to get the size for two separate heaters to operate together. One on each end of the tank to even out the heating..

cjldad said:
This is a large tank, so.....

There are a couple ways to do the task.. I prefer my tank components to be hidden, so I have my primary heater set to hold the tank at 78 and a backup set to hold the tank at 76.. This way I can keep both of them hidden behind a home built cover for my filter supply line..

The other way, which most people seem to run, is to take the tank heater requirement (approx. 4-5watts per gallon) and divide by two to get the size for two separate heaters to operate together. One on each end of the tank to even out the heating..

The heater that I have claims to be able heat up 150- 200+g and my tank is only 125g. So there should be no problem. I'll just buy another one and have 2 heaters. Maybe an eheim 250w which is really for my tank size.

Honestly, I'd get another 300w and put it at the other end.. That way if one fails, you have the other that will hold the tank fairly well..

cjldad said:
Honestly, I'd get another 300w and put it at the other end.. That way if one fails, you have the other that will hold the tank fairly well..

I'll get another 300w then. Thanks.

Anyway, when you do pwc how do you warm up your water before putting it in the tank? Our faucet with hot and cold is not designed to connect a hose. So, I use the line for watering plants and it's only cold water. So what I do is put it in a big container, add PRIME, then boiling water to bring up the temp to at least close to the remaining water in the tank. Is pouring the hot water have any effect with the PRIME? thanks.

I used to make my water this way as well.. I'd put just cold water in a large can then add my water conditioner. Let it sit over night with a circulation pump running and add a junky heater to it the next day to get it to temp..

I've since changed out to a system that hooks to my faucet and cannot ever think about going back..

None of the faucets in the house have unscrewable aerators? I had to get an extra adapter because the stock stuff didn't fit...

cjldad said:
I used to make my water this way as well.. I'd put just cold water in a large can then add my water conditioner. Let it sit over night with a circulation pump running and add a junky heater to it the next day to get it to temp..

I've since changed out to a system that hooks to my faucet and cannot ever think about going back..

None of the faucets in the house have unscrewable aerators? I had to get an extra adapter because the stock stuff didn't fit...

Unscrewable aerators? Do you use a python? Where can you buy an attachment for that to connect it to your faucet? The threads on the hose and the faucet are different.

This is the aerator..

Most bathroom faucets should have one that will unscrew.. That is where the python goes on..

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 79
cjldad said:
This is the aerator..

Most bathroom faucets should have one that will unscrew.. That is where the python goes on..

I see. We a lot of that then. Hehe. I didn't know that it is called aerator. I was thinking of the air pump aerator.

Anyway, does the python comes with the attachment? Or you have to buy it separately? Where?

It looks like the python is designed to be attached to the aerator.

The python comes with an adapter that screws in where the aerator screws in to the faucet..

cjldad said:
The python comes with an adapter that screws in where the aerator screws in to the faucet..

Got it. Now I am going to get one. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom