Eheim Filter 2260

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurence

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on buying an Eheim Canister filter model 2260 in the near future for a large tank. Anyone have any experience with this filter? Or Eheim filters in general? They are a bit pricey, but are they worth it? What about durability? How long do they last? Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

ive got an eheim 2013 which is an older version of their 2213, same exact thing as far as i can tell. it was my first experience with a canister filter and it took me some getting used to but now a few months later its working great, no problems at all. i use it on my 45 gal piranha tank and theyre really messy eaters but the filter does its job very well. i also have an eheim 1262 pump for my reef setup, no problems with that so far yet either.

Eheim is one of the better canisters on the market. The ones I have had in the past were great

Aren't canister filters no good for saltwater setups? I was led to believe they turn into nitrate factories. I have a nice Fluval 205 I took down after a week of having it because I was told it wasn't as good as a sump/refugium.

they can become a source of high nitrates in fw or sw. Bi-weekly cleaning will prevent this for the most part. I clean mine every other week and havent had any issues with nitrates since i started doing so. Before i started cleaning every other week, my nitrates got up above 100 at one point.

they can become a source of high nitrates in fw or sw. Bi-weekly cleaning will prevent this for the most part. I clean mine every other week and havent had any issues with nitrates since i started doing so. Before i started cleaning every other week, my nitrates got up above 100 at one point.

So are you saying a canister filters is as efficient as a sump/refugium as far as filtration as long as you clean them enough?

I have an Eheim Pro II 2026 and it's SO quiet, I don't even know it's running. The only "problem" I had was the intake/outlet valve on the top of the filter cracked once, and I couldn't figure out why every time I plugged in my filter after cleaning it would start to leak. So I took it all apart and finally discovered that there was a hairline fracture in the plastic casing on the valve which was allowing water to escape every time it started to flow after priming. I ran right out and replaced that piece - I think it cost me about $15 but it was worth it, otherwise I would have bought a whole new filter, and Eheim filters are quite expensive. I thought it might be the O-ring on the inside of the filter, so I bought another one and when I replaced it, the filter continued to leak, and then I found the crack. I don't know how it got cracked because I'm usually very careful with the parts, and it happened when I was at home. Had it not, there could have been a lot of angry people in the apartment below me!

I love my Eheim... I'm so glad I did my homework before I bought an outside canister filter. It's been one of my best investments.

Back
Top Bottom