Eheim Filter and Underwater Current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SittingDuck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just sitting and watching my tank (My PC is right infront of it) and was looking at my Eheim Filters output thingie. Right now, it's completely submersed and is approx 6 to 7 inches from the bottom of the tank, and 4 to 5 inches from the top. It's pointed a little less than 2 feet from the left side of the tank and the majority of the current flows against the left wall and back out the front.

I have a little more than 4 feet of space to the right of the exhaust and I've heard that an under current is good/healthy for the fish. I can sit here and watch them swim in the current for hours, and all the fish seem to enjoy it. Would it be better to aim the output thingie against the back wall and give them 4 feet of swimming space instead of less than 2?

Just an FYI on the setup....I've got one big log on the left of the aquarium, and on the right side I have my live plants. The middle is pretty sparse for the time being (I'm hoping to fill it up with more plants as I move along and get a C02 System).

So, I guess my question is: Is it important to have an underwater current, and if so would my setup be adequate for an underwater current or could it be better? I don't have any pics so you'll have to use your imagination. :D

Tank Specs:
6 feet long (72 inches), 1 1/2 feet wide (19 inches), 2 feet deep (24 inches).

I don't see why not, especially with such a long tank. Assuming it doesn't kick up your substrate, you should also try pointing canister output towards the right wall. I too find strong one way current beneficial to some fish, though I believe some of your fish are from slow current areas. If the log helps break up the current (should the fish need it), thats even better. Should you observe problems its easy enough to change back :)

As far as plants when you're ready, fwiw I have around 30x one way current in my heaviest planted tank and find many plants do fine (Rotala indica, bacopa australis, ludwigia repens, etc.) Weaker plants (Anacharis) adapt to the current. FYI, Travis Simonson has recommended on the forum that strong current tanks should use thin/small leaved plants.

Ya, I think I'll give it a try and see what happens. The only fish that isn't constantly trying to swim head first into the current is the Betta. He looks like a popped balloon when he does. The Balloon Mollies seem to have trouble swimming into the current, but they still do it at least 2 or 3 times a day...I imagine it's like excersise for them.

The majority of the fish enjoy the current and have fun with it. The ones that don't can always go to the right of the current...they'll have 2 feet of water that won't be like a hurricane. :)

I'll give it a try for a few days and see how it goes....Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom