Electronic Gadgets - Ph Meter, TDS Meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeSD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Still working on my tanks. Just got 2 additional toys to help me keep track of things. Don't like the strips and chemical color tests are kind of messy. ;)

So, I picked up a Ph meter and a TDS Meter (TDS, EC, Temp). My first impression of these are they are very consistent numbers. I measured my 3 tanks and did it a few times and the numbers are rock solid steady. That's a good first sign. It will make spot checking much quicker and less messy.

Note: I have not calibrated the Ph meter with the pre-packaged Ph powder included with the meter (to be added to distilled water). Just basing the readings on factory calibration (assumed done).

But I'm not sure what to make of the differences.

Conditions:
* All three tanks use same tap water (47 gal, 29 gal, 10 gal)
* Tap water is (PH 7.6, TDS was less than 30)
* I have not treated any of the water, with the exception of the 29 gal. On that one, I added a bit of baking soda to raise the KH and Ph.
* The 47 gal tank is overloaded with goldfish. Will reduce population eventually but got them all at once when I bought from friend.
* The 29 gal tank has Platties, Swordtails, Danio and Molly (11 fish)
* The 10 gal has 4 Guppies (1 male, 3 female) and 10 fry (isoloated)

Meter readings:
Tap water sitting for couple days (Ph=7.6, TDS<30)
47 Gal tank: PH=7.1, TDS=600
29 Gal tank: PH=7.8, TDS=140
10 Gal tank: PH=7.7, TDS=240

Don't know if these are reasonable or not. I believe the PH is accurate and what I was expecting. Except for the 7.1, which seems low but maybe the environment lowered the high PH out of the faucet (7.6).

The one thing that I wasn't expecting was 140 for my 29 gal, since I did treat it with some baking soda. But it has the lowest TDS.

Comments?

Where does your water come from? If the water company pulls co2 out then the ph is reasonable and your tap soft. What does water change routine look like?

Where does your water come from? If the water company pulls co2 out then the ph is reasonable and your tap soft. What does water change routine look like?

Water is city water. 7.6ish Ph out of faucet. KH is very low out of faucet (1 drop turns blue, 2nd drop turns yellow). Havent used meters after water change but chemical tests for PH are similar to PH meter test.

I know it's high ph, soft water. Just trying to reconcile the TDS numbers. I suspect the tank enviroments account for differences

Waste from fish can register on TDS meter...
If the g fish started out at 30 and are at 600 much of that is waste...
Sure as 2 minus 1 equals 1 if you changed 50% of the g fish tank the TDS would be dropped proportionally to aprox 330 ,still much higher then the 30ppm they started at...
The waste also accounts for the drop [acidification ] in ph IMO ..
I would step up on water changes or vacuum more thouroughly...

Waste from fish can register on TDS meter...
If the g fish started out at 30 and are at 600 much of that is waste...
Sure as 2 minus 1 equals 1 if you changed 50% of the g fish tank the TDS would be dropped proportionally to aprox 330 ,still much higher then the 30ppm they started at...
The waste also accounts for the drop [acidification ] in ph IMO ..
I would step up on water changes or vacuum more thouroughly...

Good info. That is my next tank to work on. I just changed the filters and plan to do a 40% water change tonight. That tank has 3 charcoal filters and a sponge filter. But is has about 50 goldfish and a single guppie. Oh and three Bushy Nose Pleco. Yeah over crouded. Had no choice in that. All fish came with tank and we havent decided which to move elsewhere or to whom.

? about TDS. Is there a good TDS number for a tank. Or is it consistency and change one looks for. I suspect the actual number will change with size of tank and whats in it. But when a tank is stable, the TDS number should remain the same.

I'll test for amonia tonight. I suspect it's high. I've kind of ignored this tank because I've had it up for months now and everything seems ok with it. Haven't lost a single fish, since the initial setup. Did lose one pleco on transfer of fish and 4 guppies that became a food source. 4 of the goldfish are 6" long. Do filter changes and partial water changes and thats about it.

I testing these new meters to see if it can save some time on testing water.

Note: Why the single guppie in the goldfish tank?
He is very agressive. In the guppy tank he relentless at chasing the other guppies. I put it in the Swordtail tank and same thing. Pesters the heck out of the other fish. So I put it in the goldfish tank and it's very docile. Guess with fish 100 times his size sets the right balance

Guppy center in pic.

guppy.jpg

In my opinion the way the meter will serve you best is to see if you are changing enough water. Those goldfish probably need 50 percent a day

You source water and your tank should be close

If you are targeting wild fish or breeding then the meter will help you know where you are and where you need to go

Amorous guppy just wants some love

I did a 40% water change and the TDS dropped to 460 ppm (970us/cm)

I love my TDS meter .
I don't use it for knowing when to change water ,but it does work for that also.
I like to get baselines on my source water so I can track tank behavior or as mentioned make up water special for breeding..My tap TDS is 350...My RO unit without the DI produces water @ 20ppm ! Less then 30 opens you up for nice fish if you ever choose...
Many have a hard time with soft water fish...IMO the PH is irrelevant especially with a TDS so low..
Having the water at the ready is more then half the battle IMO.

I just measured my tap water. It's ph=7.7, TDS=35, fresh out of tap. Do you think I could benefit with an RO system, with TDS already low?

Do you use one of the under the sink ones or a dedicated one for aquarium use only? I dont mind investing in one if there is benefit. My big problem is high Ph.

I don't think you need an RO unit.
I use mine for my reef tank that requires 0 TDS and for making my water around 70-100 TDS which is for breeding rams and apistos...
Your water is plenty low..
Again I would not worry one little bit about ph...My ph from tap is 7.6 I really don't think even with my RO I get under 7 ph...I really never measure it unless I am checking on a tank...

Back
Top Bottom