Emperor 280 humming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I changed the impeller recently, and after listening to a broken impeller for a few weeks, I can't seem to remember how my filter is supposed to sound. Its like a low humming/vibrating noise, and at around 15ish feet away, the sound of the water overpowers the noise. Is this noise common on hobs or do I need to look for something else. (It could also be the impeller breaking in, but I'm not sure)

When I had mine on my eel tank it would make a very low grade hum. Hard to notice but if you tried you could pic it up.

The Emperors are a little loud...my problem is trying to keep it level...that can cause more noise...a little piece of carbon, or LR if you are using in, caught around the impellor can also create noise. I leave the Bio-wheel out and turn the spray-bar down towards the water to create good water movement.

I have noticed the newer Emperors are noisier than the older ones of 8 years ago also..which do you have? I haven't been able to find the lever to slow down the intake when feeding on the newer ones. The 280's anyway.

I think i have gen. 1, I'm not sure how many gens there are, but the 2nd newest. It kind of sounds like an air pump?

Make sure where the hum is coming from. Is it coming from the unit or as a result of what the unit is sitting on? I finally put mine on an old mouse pad (though not an Emperor) and the vast majority of it went away.

Gen is generation, so if there was an emperor 280, and they created a new emperor 280, the old one would be gen 1 and the new one would be gen 2.

And the noise is coming from the impeller

Well, threads kind of dead, but maybe for future reference, the buzzing was coming in from the intake/siphon tube. Don't know how I figured it out, but when the tube was held slightly away from the tank, the sound stopped, so I stuffed a piece of foam behind it. Eventually I'll look for an actual solution, but.. the more you know :p

Back
Top Bottom