Emperor 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know if the 400 is a good filter for a 55?

It's a good filter. I prefer the AC110 now made by Fluval ]

I agree, it's decent but the Aquaclears have some advantages over them. There are no additional parts needed such as replacement cartridges for maintenance like the Marinelands do. I'd use either the single AC110 or a couple of AC70's would do the trick and be cheaper. The best thing the Emperors have is the biowheel, this is one of the best forms of biological filtration when the bacteria is exposed to oxygen...I'd love to see a hybrid of the two!

Last edited:
If I had to pick it be a AC110. I used to run the 400's and just got rid of my last one a few months ago. They are both great filters. I can't honestly say any thing bad about either. Although the 400 is louder then the 110.

If money is not a problem get the 110. If on a budget the 400 is the best you could get outside of the 110.

I'm now running 2 AC 110's on my 55. Haha it's like a washing machine in there.

Right now I have an old penguin 200 and a penguin 350 on my 55. I was considering ridding both of those and just running the 400.

400's are good filters, BUT over time the bearings that the bio wheels ride on wear, and ther wheels stop turning. If you get one make sure you can order extra bearings when needed. I got rid of all my emperors, and went with 110's, no cartridges to buy:lol:

400's are good filters, BUT over time the bearings that the bio wheels ride on wear, and ther wheels stop turning. If you get one make sure you can order extra bearings when needed. I got rid of all my emperors, and went with 110's, no cartridges to buy:lol:

If noise is a factor, then another reason to go with the AC series. The Emperor 280 made a noticeable hum. It was somewhat loud. I've replaced it and now i can't hear the AC at all. Now all I hear are the fans on my desktop PC and thats starting to drive me nuts!

Back
Top Bottom