equipment advice please on new 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis164

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about to start setting up a new 75 gal cichlid tank. I have no cichlid experience and limited aquarium experience. i have never had a tank this big and never used canister filters. i was hoing for some recomendations as far as which filters and how many as well as heaters for a tank this size. lighting help would be great too. The tank is going to be built in a large closet with only the front shoing through wall cut. Thanks for any help.

Canister filters are the best for larger tanks so I would recommend one for you but if your looking to save some money there are some H.O.B filters that are made for larger tanks. From my opinion the best canister filters are the Eheim classics. I have had an Eheim 2213 canister filter for about 4 years now and I have never had a problem with it. They supply good filtration, there silent, they require little maintenance, and they are reliable. If your looking for an H.O.B filter (hang on back) the Marineland bio wheel filters are pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I see a lot of guys using canisters and HOB's? Is that neccesarry or just for some additional filtering?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type of cichlids are you going to be shooting for?

I like canister filters but imho they have a major drawback in that they don't have a whole lot of flow. Great at filtering but I prefer to run my tanks at about 10x the tank volume per hour in flow. So if you plan for that and go a couple sizes larger than your tank it works out great.

In my 55g cichlid tank I ran 2 55g HOB filters which worked out great as well.

Not really sure yet, still researching that. Just trying to get it up and running first. But after hearing some horror stories of flooding from canisters I'm leaning towards HOBs now. Might have a hook with a friend who just had some cobalt blue Zebras babies so I guess Malawis.

I have 2 marineland penguin 350 and I love them. They work phenomenal and you can get them for a good price on amazon and the filter cartridges too.

Thanks for all the advice, the cichlid tank is now on hold as I will be taking ownership of an up and running stocked 60 gal SW tank that a friend of a friend needed to get rid of. So that will be a project just moving it to my house all in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your going to get an H.O.B filter I would recommend the Marineland emperor bio wheel 400. The Marineland bio wheel 350 is also a good filter but if your going to choose that one I would recommend buying 2 of them for the same tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom