equipment check-list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI All
Firstly a few points, i havent bought any of it yet but the equipment with prices on i have sellers ready, my tank is a juwel 125, 80cmx33cmx42cm (lengthxwidthxheight) 125 Liters/33US gal
ok

1x 150w double ended HQI bulb 20.000k metal halide > £65 (is this OK for most begginerHard/Soft corals/invertebrates)

1x PowerHead 2000 L/H > £18

1x heater, comes with tank

1x tmc protein skimmer bak-pak with extra powerhead, unsure of flowrate > £35

20 KG aragonite sand > £40

About 5 kg LR, to start off with cant get hold of base rock so will probably go with figi (any recomendations) Hope to end up with about 15 kg <is this a good amount>

Sponge internal filter inc carbon and biological filtration, will reduce amount of sponges as cycling takes place.

That is it, pleas tell me if there is anything else i need and try to answere my Questions.

thanks a lot
jack

ps. please tell me what 'HQI' actually means and stands for, will i be able to run any 150w bulb on this unit or must it be a HQI bulb
thanks

About 5 kg LR, to start off with cant get hold of base rock so will probably go with figi (any recomendations) Hope to end up with about 15 kg <is this a good amount>
Fiji rocks very porous (sp?) so you will get larger pieces/kg as opposed to say maybe a haitian rock. If you can i would go with the 15kg (33lb) to start and maybe aim for 22- 30kgs later. If you get this amount of LR you shouldn't need any mechanical filtration as the LR will provide the filtration.
I would go with 2 PH's with the total GPH or LPH being 10x the size of the tank. The reason for 2 is you can aim them at each other and cause a turbulent flow and will reduce dead spots in your tank.
As far as prices go i can't help you. I do know euro to cad is about 2.2 cad to 1 euro but as far as prices in england i don't know if those are good or bad. Maybe try ebay as i do know there is at least one supplier on there that is from the UK. HTH

The 150W 20K MH light will be enough for medium light coral but probably not enough for the higher light corals. I would get a 175W MH bulb and supplement with a 96W Actinic 03 bulb which would give you close to 8 wpg and allow for just about any coral to be kept if you plan on keeping higher light corals. fantasyreef.com has a great database on corals and their needs.

Back
Top Bottom