Euro-Reef Rating Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to upgrade from my under-sized Remora Pro on a 110 gallon tall tank. I will be housing it in a 40 gallon breeder tank.

My two choices were an ASM G3 (which will kill me with 11x12 footprint) and a AquaC EV-180. Both rated to about 200gallons.

Now, a local fish store who I really respect and have gotten great products, livestock, and very helpful accurate information from in the past, recommended the Euro-Reef (something)3 model, which is rated to 90 gallons only. He says that it is an amazing skimmer, and would probably do the job. Didn't try to upsell me or anything, insisting it would not be under-sized for my tank and that Euro-Reef usually trim their ratings to play it safe, unlike most skimmer companies who usually pad them.

Any opinions on this skimmer? If this is true, wouldn't the same be true for ASM, since it is the same design?

- Skins

I have a Euro Reef CS6-2+ and I love it. Its skims some nasty crap out of the water. My LFS said the same thing about the gallons rating, and actually tried to under-sell me the skimmer. That is, they were going to sell me a skimmer rated for 90 gallons to use in my 120. I ended up going with one rated for 125, but thats just how I like to be. If you have the funds, I would say go for it. I dont know if I will ever use another brand of skimmer again, with the exception of Deltec (which are more pricey than Euro Reef....yikes). I am not sure about the ASM's, but I have seen others give them good reviews on here.

IMO.. I think all the brands your looking at are top notch..
is the Euro-reef better for the buck.. I personaly doubt it..
do they pad there numbers.. I doubt that as well (could be wrong here)
there are a few other brands that are more expensive.. even more expensive then Deltec 8O 8O
are they worth it? the owners think so..
would you be disatisifed.. I dont think so..
Have I seen a user of the ASM G3 that wasn't estatic about there purchase... no..
Do I think any of the above brands are the absolute best value for the $$$, nope... CSS 220 would fit that bill right now.. but again.. JMHO

I think its more about what you really want and the what if I got that's.. if you have a skimmer that works really well will you ponder that euro-reef or other brand and wish you got it instead? if so.. you might want to give the one your leaning tword a extra look to make sure your not passing personal satisfaction with your purchase by..
HTH
personal note: I would actually be conserned about a skimmer that kept pulling nasty skimmulate 24/7/365.. I would assume that it was undersized for my bio-load after about 6 months of that behavior..

Back
Top Bottom