Expert advice needed (filter options)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

As you may already know I have a 30 gallon fish tank with a FLUVAL 205, this is great, but I am getting a new 50 gallon tank ( yay ) it is a RIO 180, the tank comes with a built in filter, by the looks of it, It has no BIO media or real carbon only has a sponge form of it, the way it works is by pulling the water through the filter media the back out, my question is will this filter be as quiet or as good as the external FLUVAL filter or should I buy a FLUVAL to go with it ( I would not like to because it add an extra £50 )

Any advice would be great thanks.
Andy

not sure what the rio 180 is...is that the filter that comes w/it? is that a canister, and its built in?

by the looks of it, It has no BIO media

if you are talkin about the bio balls....i dont know about freshwater, but in saltwater people tend to stay away from them, as they build up nitrates.

also, a pic of this would be good too

Well most filters use cermic bio media that gives a good place for bacteria to grow. You can alsways get another canister or HOB filter for it.

You can use ceramic rings, bio balls, plastic pot scrubbers, filter floss, or sponges for additional media if desired. I'm unable to offer advice on your filter as I am not sure what kind of filter it comes with or the specs. Is there any way you can find out more information about the filter? Is the tank from a store as a kit? Usually IMO kits come with less than adequate filtration. They come with the bare minimum.

The tank is quite beautiful! I would give the filter a try and see if it is quiet enough for you. Also you could contact the manufacturer and ask what the gph are for the tank.

Thank you, i did not think about the gph so thank you il let you people no 2morrow if i get the tank or not ( depends if my dad lets me lol)

YAY my dad said i could get it ( im so happy lol) anyway the filter dose 600ltrs per hour, is this good?

SInce you are looking at an established package, it should work as is. Trying it will be the only way to be certain. The foam will be the biomedia, and if it is large enough, should be sufficient. You don't really need to know what the GPH is as that won't really tell you a lot. We must assume that the filter is sufficient for the tank.

hmmmm well im getting it in a hour or so, so il let you lot lot what its like and if the filter is quiet, thanks for all your help and advice wish me luck lol.

YAY i got it, im so happy, lol setting is up as i speak lol il keep you lot up to date.

Back
Top Bottom