External filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdazzler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking to buy an external filter for my Juwel 240 tank. Looked at loads of websites and reviews and still can’t decide - all suggestions welcome :thanks:

I have a fluval 406 on a 200 litre.

Pros.
Decent price, probably mid range on the price.
Readily available including parts.
Quiet.

Cons.
Ribbed hoses prevent using inline equipment.
Can be a pain to prime if you ever need to break the syphon (eg to rinse out the hoses). There are workarounds, but still it puts me off cleaning out the hoses.

When i make a change to that filter or set up a new tank i will go to an eheim. Probably the Pro 4+ 350T because it has an integral heater. Can't comment on this though as ive never used an eheim, but they come highly recommended from people that do use them.

One thing to consider when putting a cannister into a tank that isnt built for one is how to get the input and output through the lid. I had to cut holes through the lid and use electrical project boxes glued to the lid to cover the holes and hoses.

I have a 406 also, it's great. I also have a couple of eheim classics that work great. They are harder to open and clean, hard to prime, and prone to leak because of the weak fittings into the canister. But they have a big can allowing a plethora of media options. I have 10 sunsun canisters that I love too. Quite and easy to clean like the fluval, cheaper than all the others to start up, and also easy to find parts for. I don't think you can go wrong with any. Sunsun also makes marineland canisters btw

Thank you. Yes the input/output may prove challenging but yours sounds like a good solution - I’m a bit wary of cutting the lid but can’t really see a way round it.

Thank you. Yes the input/output may prove challenging but yours sounds like a good solution - I’m a bit wary of cutting the lid but can’t really see a way round it.
Not the neatest job, but does the job. I suppose other options are to omit the lid, simply rest the lid on the hoses or get a new purpose made lid.20210101_161008.jpg

I have a 406 also, it's great. I also have a couple of eheim classics that work great. They are harder to open and clean, hard to prime, and prone to leak because of the weak fittings into the canister. But they have a big can allowing a plethora of media options. I have 10 sunsun canisters that I love too. Quite and easy to clean like the fluval, cheaper than all the others to start up, and also easy to find parts for. I don't think you can go wrong with any. Sunsun also makes marineland canisters btw

I’ll be honest - I need one that’s easy to prime and clean. Just been looking at a sunsun canister and am quite impressed.

I also use a Sunsun. However, just one ;-). Price is great and is going on 11 years with no issue. Never had to even lube any O rings.

Wow! Learn something new every day! Thanks.

Just been looking at these and they seem a good option for a beginner like me ?

Sunsun make filters for All Pond Solutions here in the UK. I think they do similar for a few suppliers, just with different branding on the box and a different colour scheme on the product.
Yeah, here in the states they also sell rebranded as Polar Aurora and one other brand i can't remember

I’ll be honest - I need one that’s easy to prime and clean. Just been looking at a sunsun canister and am quite impressed.
I have a 406 like Aiken, and I love it too. I initially bought the sunsuns because of the price point, but no complaints about the 406. I got it with a 46g bow front, a light, heater, stand, air pump for $60 from a guy who's fish had all died suddenly and he was frustrated and quit the hobby. It was the best deal I've ever gotten, lol

I have a 406 like Aiken, and I love it too. I initially bought the sunsuns because of the price point, but no complaints about the 406. I got it with a 46g bow front, a light, heater, stand, air pump for $60 from a guy who's fish had all died suddenly and he was frustrated and quit the hobby. It was the best deal I've ever gotten, lol

Ha - yeh that is a good deal!! I’ve been looking at the Fluval 407 and that looks good and fairly foolproof.

I have a fluval 406 on a 200 litre.

Pros.
Decent price, probably mid range on the price.
Readily available including parts.
Quiet.

Cons.
Ribbed hoses prevent using inline equipment.
Can be a pain to prime if you ever need to break the syphon (eg to rinse out the hoses). There are workarounds, but still it puts me off cleaning out the hoses.

When i make a change to that filter or set up a new tank i will go to an eheim. Probably the Pro 4+ 350T because it has an integral heater. Can't comment on this though as ive never used an eheim, but they come highly recommended from people that do use them.

OP: From the bit I know the new version of the 406 (which I own), the 407, is a better unit in a few ways. Take a look, and please post back your final choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Perfomance-Canister-Filter-Black/dp/B07JFY2QW6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=VLBY0ROGDM6R&dchild=1&keywords=fluval+407&qid=1609540133&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=fluval+4%2Cpets%2C182&sr=1-2

Pros for the 406? I agree. Quiet though? Only after I trimmed down the drag from mats by using mostly foam and one tray of sintered glass in the top-most tray. Before this it chattered like a raccoon. It's quiet now.

Cons: When you mention inline equipment, what are you speaking of, Aiken? What sort of priming problem's are you having? You're right about the ribbed tubing. I tried it to clean it once using a spiral brush and was almost in tears afterwards. :facepalm:

Eheim hopefully hasn't lost their mojo since they where an early choice for me. I did read a few years back about them having some issues in their line. Here's to hoping whatever issues they're having have been corrected. In fact, if I have a good reason I'd like to try their wet-dry cannister. It's been around long enough to have the kinks worked out.

The ribbed hoses that come standard with fluval cannisters dont allow you to install inline heaters or sterilisers etc. You need to replace the ribbed hose for standard types. Not a huge issue but something to consider depending on how you plan to set up the filter and other equipment.

With regards to priming, if i tear down the filter and break the syphon (for example if i want to rinse out the hosing which i do annually) it can be difficult to get it going again after i set it back up. This is a common issue with the 06 series, you can pump that lever forever with no positive result. Other people on this very forum have raised the same issue. The only time the primer worked for me as it should was the initial set up with no media in there. Im assuming it is more difficult to prime when full of media as the primer has to work harder to pull water through? There are workarounds though and youtube videos on these can be found.

Ive never had a noise issue from my 406.

I suppose everyone will have different issues and see a product differently.

A friend of mine did a review of the 407 for his employers youtube channel and while he gave it a decent write up, privately he didnt think it was much different to the 406. A little more robust, maybe a little quieter, but the same issues.

Im not saying i dont like the 406, i think its a great cannister. Knowing I'm able to go to the store and easily get parts in an emergency or even just pick up a new filter is a huge plus. It does everything i want it to do, runs without issues. The cons are things that either dont affect me or things i can live with.

Yeah, I would say that same thing about all the models I have. They all run quiet, perform well, do what I require, and all have faults I can live with or that I consider to be minor. Kind of the way my wife views living with me. Lol

Well expressed, Aiken. Perhaps you should consider doing your own in-depth video review? Doing so might make fluval consider some design changes. After owing 3 different models, including the wildly overpriced and mysterious G6, I'm tired of the brand and want something fresh. Since I'm a little less naive than before, I know I'm going to be dissatisfied regardless. Again, great reply.

Yeah, I would say that same thing about all the models I have. They all run quiet, perform well, do what I require, and all have faults I can live with or that I consider to be minor. Kind of the way my wife views living with me. Lol

(y) It's good to hear that I perform well enough to be kept local for a while longer. If fact I hear it on a daily basis. Come on Charlie, let the OP read about what you think is an "okay" filter?

Well expressed, Aiken. Perhaps you should consider doing your own in-depth video review? Doing so might make fluval consider some design changes. After owing 3 different models, including the wildly overpriced and mysterious G6, I'm tired of the brand and want something fresh. Since I'm a little less naive than before, I know I'm going to be dissatisfied regardless. Again, great reply.
Ive never seen the G series before. Someone was looking for a low height cannister for a 65g tank a while back because they had an unusual cabinet that only had 18 inch available height and wasnt tall enough for most cannisters. We couldn't find one that worked, so they ended up with one sat on the floor next to the cabinet (they had a spare FX6 and used that from recollection). Perhaps something from that range might have worked.

Back
Top Bottom