External filter problems!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig blomfield

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, ive got a problem if you could help me ?

Its my external filters....i find it hard to get them going after cleaning and the water just ends up dribbling out of the spray bar its like they just dont have any power.

Could someone please tell what im doing wrong. Thanks

Canisters? Are you priming them beforehand (filling with tank water)? Have you tried rocking it back and forth after you turn it on to release air bubbles? Have you tried cleaning your impeller?

Sounds like your letting all the water pressure out. Make sure the filter is filled pretty much completely before turning on.

It helps if you start a siphon before turning it on, depending on what kind of filter it is. On the eheims with the quick disconnects, it is pretty easy to get a siphon going without making a mess.

Make sure the impeller and impeller cavity are clean, and the impeller is turning freely. Then, make sure the can and hoses are full.

Good points. I cleaned my FX5 last time and when I started it back up, I got a bunch of crud coming out of the return back into my water. Needless to say, it's frustrating after you've cleaned everything up.

I'm thinking all of this dirt is coming from the impeller and impeller cavity. I'll be taking that apart this next time.

Whenever restarting my canisters I get alot of crud that comes from algae in the hoses which is knocked free by the movement of restarting the siphon, expelling air bubbles, etc.

I find the easiest way to restart my canister is just fill it up with fresh water to the lid line, put the lid on, start her up. Any excess air that remains is easily expelled by some gentle shaking, and it's running silent in a minute or so.

Doing a quick flush of your hoses helps make sure they are primed, and knocks some of the mulm loose that collects in them. I've yet to stop the 'mulm cloud', but flushing them definitely minimizes it.

Back
Top Bottom